Timor again (sorry Lou)

João Paulo Monteiro jpmonteiro at SPAMmail.telepac.pt
Sun Nov 21 05:17:26 MST 1999

James M. Blaut wrote:

> What is disturbing in this language is a hint of POSSIBLE unintentional
> ethnocentrism of the sort we, in the US, are familiar with in judgements
> about Native Americans, Africans, and others. A Portuguese Marxist would
> presumably -- and I hope this is true of you -- be ultra-sensitive to
> cultural judgements made about a former Portuguese colony.

What I'm beginning to be ultra-sensitive about these days is of the shitty
"multi-culturalist" political correctness that implies it is allright to
sexually mutilate young girls or for the timorese to sit on the floor with
their hands posed before their king. The capital sin would be the eurocentric
arrogance of condemning this, or even mention it exists.

What I'm beginning to be ultra-sensitive about is this rotten, guilt-ridden
protestant ethic of blindness and denial. For what politically follows directly
from it is the abandon of peripheral nation to their fate, AFTER their fate
having been sealed by the the imperialist "globalized" order. This is only
fitting of imperialist nations who have always been too happy to exploit the
labor of the "savages" but wouldn't touch them with a ten feet pole. And now
they feel they can managed without them. Third-world peoples have been raped by
imperialism and now are being dumped on the way side with very convenient
"multi-culturalist" arguments.

This is the scourge of any third-world people struggling for a place in the
sun, with independence, dignity and self-sustained development.

João Paulo Montessori