request for sources: Marx versus Weber

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Sat Nov 20 20:33:52 MST 1999

You are going to get violently opposed ideas on this. It was recently
the subject of an extensive and inconclusive war on the list PEN-L.
My own view is that the best reply to Weber is to be found in
Ellen Meiksins Wood, Democracy against Capitalism (Cambridge
U.P., 1995). James Blaut has attacked Weber in several works,
which you should read. My own view is that Blaut in effect
provides the philosophical basis for the triumph of Weber over
Marx by taking capitalism out of history and makeing it an
eternal force. But there is no good in repeating these arguments
so soon after the debate on Pen-L.

Carrol Cox