irony, etc.

Warwick K. Fry wfry10 at SPAMscu.edu.au
Wed Nov 17 17:42:23 MST 1999

Michael,

            That's a fascinating question and one which becomes even more
critical with the mass dissemination of literature, and literary (text
based) forms on the internet. I think there are some classic examples in
email, newsgroups and lists, which often fracture under the heat of flame
wars generated by attempts to use irony which are misunderstood. What
happens, I think is that much net literature is decontextualised a little  -
we often pick up irony because of background knowledge of the author, or the
context it relates to. Your example I think, shows how irony is read (or
rather, not read) in an environment deprived of critiques of economic
rationalism. Similarly, I think a lot of newsgroups attract a wide range of
participants, many of whom do not share a common cultural context. Of course
if the common attraction of the subject is attractive enough committed
(serious) participants work through their differences in their backgrounds
and come to appreciate some of the uses of irony and where it is coming
from.(One of our cultural myths, here in Australia, is that north Americans
have difficulty understanding irony ...   :-)

The fascinating thing about the net in general (my own particular area of
interest :) and mail lists in particular is the way new formations are
generated from what were originally literary devices. There comes to mind
one bloke on a maillist who used to scare the hell out of me - I wondered
what the hell this redneck was doing on the list, until I twigged that half
his stuff was tongue in cheek and found it very clever. I also began to
check headings and addresses for little clues he left (changing his handle
to Lou S. Cannon for example ).... Subject headings are another
internet-unique area where we play a lot with irony. And there are always
smileys of course.

I think another interesting angle on this is the constitution of
'privileged' knowledge and the degree to which class interests are involved.

BTW, it can be very embarrassing to be caught out in a public forum where
you don't spot the ironic intent of a post, and I suspect a lot of flame
wars are a by-product of this. I imagine that dealing with potential
embarrassment that is one of the tasks of the teacher.