Phony Science Wars?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Nov 15 18:49:16 MST 1999

This is a point well-taken. Hacking, whose book he is reviewing, and Rorty
do not have a Marxist understanding of the science wars issues. For that
you have to go to Lewontin and Levins. That being said, I have a feeling
that there are many valuable insights in his book, that I am ordering from
amazon.com. I'll scan in some pages and post after it is received.

At 01:09 PM 11/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
>In this article, Rorty poses the dispute as between objective idealists
(Plato) and relativists ( Protagorists). He doesn't include materialists,
like Engels and Lenin.

>CB

>Atlantic Monthly, Nov. 1999
>
>Phony Science Wars, A review of Ian Hacking's "The Social Construction of
>What?"
>
>by Richard Rorty

Louis Proyect
Marxism mailing list: (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)