An Anecdote: Japan and racism

Tue Nov 16 14:26:17 MST 1999

>>> <ilagardien at worldbank.org> 11/16/99 03:58PM >>>

An anecdote: when I was growing up in South Africa we (in what were known as
coloured townships) lived with Chinese people who were classified "coloured" but
because they were doing business with the Japanese, the Afrikaners had
classified the latter "white"... strange how that works: racism...

Charles: I had heard this before, but your post is a confirmation.

In the Jim Crow South of the U.S., sometimes Black foreigners were given a status as
Whites and not segregated against.

CB

P.S. If we are in the World Bank.. there is hope. Sort of like a new Henry Liu. (smile)