Gusmao suggests asking UN to leave.

Mon Nov 15 01:33:09 MST 1999

>From: "Juan R. Fajardo" <fajardos at ix.netcom.com>
>To: marxism at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Gusmao suggests asking UN to leave.
>Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:25:18 -0800
>
>Macdonald Stainsby wrote:
> >
> > I have been staunchly opposed to any intervention in East Timor, my fear
>has
> > been the bourgeoisifying of the East Timorese, [...]
>
>Huh? What's that supposed to mean?  That the E. Timorese ought not to
>aspire to own their own businesses, gain title to their plots of
>farmland, have a decent place in which to raise their children, and do
>so within the economic system into which they have been born, in other
>words, "gain something to lose"?

OOPS! Turned a phrase too quickly. What I was trying to say was my fear that
the East Timorese would become but a proxy of Imperialist design, that
Imperialism would "save" the East Timorese in a manner to make the country
part and parcel of the oppressors. To use the E Timorese as a possible wedge
against others in the region (most likely, a possible revolutionary
Indonesia). It certainly was not opposition to development.

Macdonald