In Memorium

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at SPAMprimenet.com
Sun Nov 28 09:13:03 MST 1999

Greetings Comrades,
    The first part of Jared Israel's posting struck a chord with me.  I
would characterize this view of things as "catastrohism".  This perjorative
title is something that people over on LBO use to put down the intuition
that a crisis is forming in the world system.  I share Jared's view of the
current state of the U.S. economy.  There are many signs to my mind of a
general systemic crisis building up.

    I just wanted to counter pose list member Jose Perez's view of the same
phenomena.  Jose believes that "digitization" is producing productivity
gains sufficient to merit the high valuation of the U.S. Stock Market.
There in a mania driven Nasdaq Market where I see systemic crisis building
to a peak, Jose sees another long term (5 to 10 years) of boom based upon
primarily networking computing that advances the state of office work and
any other area where computing is used to good effect.

    In Jared's case what I share most about the "In Memorium" is the feeling
that we have little impact now, but as the crescendo of pro-capitalist swill
builds higher (the moral duties of empire to crush Serbia is the most
blatant example that Todd Gittlin, Molly Ivans et al extol).  I can see a
crisis building, but where is our movement?  If the greatest depression ever
is about to hit.  Primarily a crisis I think driven by the massive
ecological crisis ripping to shreds the basis for capitalist expansion in
energy and technology, and leaving us dependent upon technology to solve
what are problems with enormous costs to meet for the whole planet.  What
are we to do?  This weekend I want to address various areas which I think
about though I have no solutions except to look to the working class as a
means to build a different system.  First Yoshie's call for consideration of
gender issues.  Secondly Louis' posting on "Consumerism".
cheers,
Doyle Saylor