Timor again (sorry Lou)

Mon Nov 22 11:35:47 MST 1999

    I think this "multiculturalism" and "diversity" stuff is in many cases
meaningless drivel, in other cases worse.

    Take, for example, bilingual education. Who could be against it?

    Well I am. Or let me be more precise. I have been appalled and am
against every public school bilingual education program I've had the chance
to be in close contact with in the United States. They are in fact a form of
segregation and if one sat down to design a plan on how to foster illiteracy
in two languages, one would have probably come up with this plan.

    It is, for example, a well-known fact that the easiest way to learn a
language is through complete immersion. What do bilingual programs do?
Isolate children from English except for forty or fifty minutes a day, and
as early in their school careers as possible, when language learning is
easiest.

    After three years during which the child internalizes a substandard
handling of English, the student is then sent to English-only curriculum, so
that whatever Spanish he did know will atrophy and do him absolutely no good
later in life.

José