Rhakesh was LBO-Talk charges

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Mon Nov 22 09:04:28 MST 1999

Response to that below:

In one sense a radical list does belong to a "whole movement" rather than a
particular individual; Louis understands that very well and is about the
least proprietary person I know. On the other hand, a "whole movement"
cannot be sued for libel if someone goes off on a list and the object of
potential libel decides to sue. A "whole movement" cannot monitor the list
to ensure that provocateurs and wreckers do not take over a list in order to
pollute and sidetrack that list; that requires a few individuals to do the
monitoring. And of course a "whole movement" cannot compile, edit and place
submissions into digest form either.

I'll be sending in some money to help Louis defray costs of a service from
which we all benefit and I hope others would do the same--Louis has never
once asked for donations or solicited in any way. But those who want to have
a sense of shared ownership must also share the financial and work burdens
that go with this list and keeping the archives and digest. In any case,
just as at MR, someone makes some decisions about what goes in and does not
what books are published under MR titles and what not.

On the particular issue going on with Rakesh, I have no idea what this is
about as I have been out of touch with many things on the list, but I do
know that Louis would never keep some special file on sometone to be used
later and then, when finding out that someone had applied for a job ship
this special file to sabotage that person; I just know he would never do it.
But I do know that if Louis were asked to give his honest views, he would do
that; and of course I known that everything I write may be used for or
against me and indeed many of my writings have been sent to others without
my knowing it or the person to whom it was sent; and I don't really care as
I stand by what I write, apologize for unintentional errors, and write
without fear or favor or caring who likes or who doesn't--it's called the
real world.

As for who is or isn't "brilliant", I would suggest that writings on the net
or even published works do not constitute enough of a sample to make that
judgment. And for those who are indeed "brilliant" in terms of some abstract
and generalized concept of intelligence and aptitude, the critical issue is
not one's intelligence but what one does with it--whom and what forces does
one serve and with what degree of commitment. I'll take someone committed to
serving the oppressed with his/her whole heart and being who is less than
"brilliant" than someone regarded as "brilliant" but does nothing practical
(I am not saying this is the case with Rakesh, I have no idea about this
stuff) or to serve the oppressed in tengible ways, then as a matter of logic
and revolutionary practice, "brilliance" counts much less than concrete
practice and less than "brillance" in the service of ractionary theory and
causes.

Jim Craven

James Craven
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.