Romania : Nostalgia for the past

Mon Nov 22 11:48:29 MST 1999

> BUCHAREST, Romania -- Ten years after communism's fall, 4 in 5
Romanians
> are unhappy with the way they live, with 61 percent saying they were
> better off under the late dictator Nicolae Ceausescu, an opinion poll
> reports.
> "This is a very sad picture of Romanian society," political scientist
> Dorel Abraham told a news conference late last week while commenting
on
> the findings of the survey released by the Open Society Foundation.

    This is indeed a striking finding. Ceausescu's  regime was, I think it
fair to say, by far the worst of any of the East European worker's states.
The population was kept to a level of economic deprivation unheard of in
places like E Germany, Poland or Czechoslovakia by murderous repression
while the bureaucracy built itself palaces.

    Now even Ceasescu --whose Christmas day execution caused mass jubilation
in Romania a decade ago-- is now seen as a lesser evil to capitalism.

José