Consumerism

Paul Flewers paul.flewers at SPAMvirgin.net
Sun Nov 28 22:46:30 MST 1999

Louis Proyect wrote: < We even began dressing the part. I started
wearing snap-brim fedoras like the kind that Farrell Dobbs used to wear.
I also began talking out of the side of my mouth like all those old
Trotskyists used to. Sometimes I used to get the impression that they
developed that personae from old Humphrey Bogart and Edward G Robinson
gangster movies. >

Back in the late 1940s, when Gerry Healy was being promoted in the
British Trotskyist movement by James Cannon, he started talking in a
fake American accent. It was a source of great amusement -- and
bemusement -- amongst his comrades at the time, and even today old Trots
here still occasionally bring it up in conversation when the old
gangster is talked about.

Paul F