Consumerism/Frankfurters and Moby Grape Juice

Sun Nov 28 16:06:21 MST 1999

Michael Pugliese wrote:

     "Being born in 1961, I'd venture that I'm younger than most of the
posters here but from reading and knowing vets from previous g-g-generations
my sense is that working class people by the end of the sixties hated the
war, but hated the anti-war movement more."

    Where did you get THAT idea? Antiwar sentiment was greatest among
PROLETARIAN youth, the ones being sent as grunts to the front lines. The
truth is that the ones who put a stop to the war was the American
proletariat IN UNIFORM, by refusing to fight and fragging every west point
sonofabitch who tried to get them to go out and do it. Outside the elite
units, there was a complete breakdown in discipline and fighting morale.

    Opposition to the war was unanimous in the ghettos and barrios. And
although it is true that, say in 1966 and 1967, the pig press succeeded to a
large degree in alienating many older workers from their sons and daughters,
by 1970 or so the parents had come to the conclusion that their children had
been right all along.

    Nixon's "majority" was silent because it didn't exist. The "grass roots"
support in letters and telegrams that flooded the White House in support of
Nixon was the origin of political "Astroturf," the work of paid political
operatives, not an expression of popular support.

    It was a lesson the ruling class won't soon forget. For all their
bragging about being the biggest and toughest kids on the block, when push
comes to shove the U.S. ruling class has been unwilling to commit ground
troops when it is likely someone is going to shoot back. Look at Kosovo and
Yugoslavia. And they dropped the draft like a hit potato. No sense giving
military training to people who were quite likely to turn the guns around.

Jose

---

Free computers.  Free Internet access.  I don't pay -- why should you?
Click on www.free-pc.com to get started today!