The Real AntiWar Movement

Michael Pugliese debsian at SPAMpacbell.net
Sun Nov 28 16:40:17 MST 1999

    I'll defer to Ken's life experiences, since I've long heard of his
organizing acumen and bravery esp. since I've spent all my life in safe
suburbs and PC university mileaus even if my current crib is in the dreaded
Tenderloin. He's  paid more than his dues,his cred isn't the issue.
     The GI movement, natch was w/c, my cite of a book on anti-war movement
at non-elite campuses was meant to show that I'm aware not all movement
activists, indeed few were rich, snot nosed brats. However my understanding
of the move of some ethnic working class Democrats (not just upper class
academic neo-con policy wonks) to Republican columns during the Nixon and
Reagan era was due to reaction against the "acid, amnesty, and abortion"( to
use
PJB's phrase, jeez think of Buchanan on acid?)
McGovernite New Politics which shifted the balance of forces in the
Democratic party away from the old party regulars of the Meanyite AFL-CIO
towards neo-liberals like Gary Hart and the DLC(Democrats for the Leisure
Class in Jesse Jacksons phrase) (Before anyone says I'm full of illusions
about the Dems, yes I've read Mike Davis'es first book on the Am. Working
Class and this former believing in Schactmanite/Harrin- gtonian
"realignment" couldn't agree more with Davis on the Democrats fundamentally
pro-capitalist nature.)
   On Pedro del Valle, don't know but from a couple of viewings of "The
Battle of Chile," I remember a bunch of fascist, Catholic goons called,
"Tradition, Family and Property." Doing some research on Chrustian Right
wacko, Paul Weyrich, a while ago I see he supports these folks. Maybe Nixon
et.al. called on TFP to help in the famous Teamster/building trades
walloping of
anti-warriors in NYC?
     Lastly, from reading on Marcuse, I see his life was threatened in the
late 60's by the Secret Army Organization. Any details available on these
folks.
    To recap, maybe I should have specified the more reactionary sectors of
the white working class viz. the George Wallace bloc, rather than the class
as a whole. Growing up in a lower middle class suburban neigborhood in
Maryland, my neighbors had some Wallaceites, some Nixon supporters, and my
folks and the German Jews next door were the only McGovern supporters. The
whole county (Montgomery) went for McGovern though in '72 and Jerry Brown in
'76.
    Oh, as a final aside. Carl Rowan wrote a notorious column telling Martin
Luther King, Jr.
to keep his nose out the war question after King's speech at Riverside
Church in '66 or '67.
Don't see that Rowan, who worked at U.S.I.A. at the time ever apologized.
                                       Michael Pugliese
                                  Michael Pugliese