MIM &/or PCP (was ludic Leninism)

Michael Pugliese debsian at SPAMpacbell.net
Fri Nov 26 14:20:08 MST 1999

   I know of the differences between the RCP and MIM. (Do I have time to go
into this intra-Maoist polemicizing. Does anyone else?)The bit on the PCP
and killing lesbians was communicated to me by Ying Lee Kelley, a staffer
for Ron Dellums, the long time left-wing member of Congress from the 8th
C.D. in California, who I worked with on the Jesse Jackson campaign in 1988.
Ms. Kelley had spent some time around the 70's M-L party building mileaus
and can/could hardly be accused of anti-communism.
     On Sandero, Monthly Review had a few pieces to and fro on this a while
back and though some
readers of the list might view me as a counter-revolutionary for
recommending the following well here goes:
 The Shining Path : A History of the Millenarian War in Peru (Latin America
in Translation/En Traduccion, Em Traducao)
by Gustavo Gorriti Ellenbogen, Robin Kirk (Translator), Gustavo Gorriti
      Putting on my Althusserian cap for a second and using some stuff from
Aidan Foster Carter in a NLR piece on modes of production might I suggest
that Peru, was and is, a social  formation
overdetermined by a position in the capitalist world system which gave to
Peru a class structure which combined elements from feudal and capitalist
modes of production. When one is fighting a developed, fully capitalist
state, the class alliances and class structure is different
than a dependent peripheral or semi-peripheral
state.
     Adding fuel to the fire might I add that the PCP also killed lots of
members of Peru's "Legal Left" from the Old Left parties, and community
organizations which represented the marginalized and the poor in tin-shacks
in the Lima "suburbs". "Social-fascists" doubtless.
    Finally I'm no expert on Peru, but in the end it seems to me that the
"Legal Left"-whatever their faults, I'd assume the had/have Popular Front
illusions in the national bourgeoisie- is far preferable to the PCP, which
gave the space for Fujimori to tighten the dictatorship. Fujimori no friend
to the people, but why give his ilk ammunition?

                              Michael Pugliese