Fwd: L-I: Fw: Eyewitness report from Greece

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at SPAMdojo.tao.ca
Thu Nov 25 02:40:36 MST 1999

Forwarded From: Steve Kerr <stephen.kerr at sympatico.ca>

> [...]
> period. Over 100,000 anti-Nazi fighters were held in concentration
> camps for the next 20 years.
>
> In 1967, when the Greek left had regained its strength, Greece's
> NATO military carried out a coup. Col. George Papadopoulos,
> leader of the fascist junta that would rule the country for the next
> seven years, was on the direct payroll of the CIA. This was finally
> revealed by the New York Times in 1976.
>
> Fascist terror did not crush the people's resistance. On Nov. 17,
> 1973, tens of thousands of university students defied tanks and guns
> to challenge the junta, which fell the following year.
>
> That same spirit was very much alive in the streets of Athens and
other
> Greek cities before and during Clinton's visit.
>
> 10,000 ACCUSE U.S./NATO OF WAR CRIMES
>
> On Nov. 8, 10,000 people had stood in the rain in Athens's
> Constitution Square for a mass trial of the U.S. president and other
> NATO leaders. The judges were 20 justices of the Council of State--
> the Greek Supreme Court. Famous entertainers served as other
> officers of the court.
>
> Clinton had ignored a subpoena delivered to the U.S. Embassy a
> week earlier by a march of several thousand people.
>
> After hours of eyewitness testimony about the U.S. bombing of
> Yugoslavia, the presiding judge asked if Clinton were guilty of war
> crimes. The entire crowd responded "Guilty!"
>
> On Nov. 17, the anniversary of the 1973 student uprising, tens of
> thousands of marchers, mostly youth, filed past the U.S. Embassy.
> They loudly denounced Clinton as the butcher of the Balkans, called
> for an end to NATO and demanded that the U.S. military get its bases
> out of Greece and its troops out of Yugoslavia. The march was
> organized by the communists, but even youth from PASOK, the
> social-democratic governing party, felt compelled to join.
>
> And then on Nov. 19, the night of Clinton's arrival, tens of
thousands
> of protesters, many waving red flags, gathered in three squares in
> downtown Athens in defiance of a police ban.
>
> The main rally, in Constitution Square, was opened by Bill Doares of
> the International Action Center. Doares saluted the Greek people's
> history of resistance to fascism and war and their solidarity with
the
> people of Yugoslavia.
>
> "The profits of Wall Street depend on wars of destruction," he said,
> "and only mass action can stop the Pentagon's drive toward new and
> bigger wars. In this great task, the Greek people are leading the
way."
> Doares also condemned Clinton's hypocrisy in preaching about
> "human rights" when the "U.S. has more people in prison than any
> other country--70 percent are Black and Latin--and the biggest
> companies profit off their slave labor." He drew loud applause when
> he called for international action to stop the execution of U.S.
political

--
*This was NOT attached by the Tao collective*

Looking for radically new approaches to your internet?
Check out the Tao "ten point platform":

http://new.tao.ca/

Computing the revolution.

Macdonald Stainsby