P{ROPOSAL: Cut the posts in half

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Nov 29 17:48:16 MST 1999

Actually there are very few people who post more than 3 times a day. I
usually go over that number, but that is because I often crosspost items
that I hope will get a useful thread going, like the piece on McCarthyism.
On the other hand, for many of us--myself included--the list is a form of
social contact. What Jared calls "chit-chat" is basically the kind of small
talk you might find in a bar frequented by left-wingers. I like to think
that this list is in the spirit of the salon that used to gather at
Mariategui's home on the weekend in the 1920s to discuss Peruvian politics,
culture and society over tea. The mood was relaxed and warm even though
important discussions were taking place. My only recommendation to people
who are overwhelmed by the volume is to switch to the digest, which sends
out 10 messages or so in a single email with a table of contents. That way
you will get less mail and be able to preselect what you want to read.
There are over 210 subscribers on the list right now and someday it might
reach 500 or a 1000. When that time comes, it might be necessary to limit
the amount of posts. In the meantime I would prefer a free flow of
discussion. My only suggestion, which I have made already, is that people
refrain from one line quips on other people's posts to the effect of "I
really agree with that."

At 06:50 PM 11/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>A deluge is as bad as a drought.  There are no so many posts on this list
>that it is absurtd to read everything.  Most are more or less chit chat,
>often direcatble to one person rather than the list.  COuld we have some
>limiting here? a) No more than two posts by anyone in one day and b) no chit
>chat.  (Chit chat does not mean serious disagreement expressed briefly; it
>means - chit chat.  Cute but DILUTEES the effect of the list by forcing us
>choose arbitrarily what to read - I for one read much less than I would if
>there were less food on plate.
>
>Best
>Jared

Louis Proyect