Abraham Lincoln on labor and capital

hoov hoov at SPAMfreenet.tlh.fl.us
Mon Nov 29 13:42:35 MST 1999

> > Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the
> > fruit
> > of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed.
> > Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher
> > consideration."
> > Abraham Lincoln, annual message to Congress, Dec. 3, 1861
>
> Wasn´t this dangerous Communist the same one who exchanged letters with
> some unwanted German, a Karl Marx I believe, who sent him a letter of
> support, full of praise, during the war against the unrestricted rights of
> ownership of the Southern gentry?
> Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky

Don't recall Marx's admiration for Lincoln resulting in correspondence
between two, but M's youngest daughter Eleanor ("Tussy"), age six
at the time, apparently sent the US prez a number of letters giving
him advice on various topics.  She later wrote about the care and
concern that "Mohr" showed in answering her questions about the war,
reading what she wrote to L, and taking them to the post office to mail
out.  Not aware of a record of Lincoln acknowledging receipt.

Marx wrote the First Int'l address sent to Lincoln upon his reelection
to which US Ambassador to England Charles Francis Adams replied, noting
Lincoln's receipt and gratitude, in a letter published in the *London
Times*.  Marx was sufficiently satisfied with Lincoln's response (via
Adams) that he commented on it in a letter to Engels.   Michael Hoover