nostalgia for McCarthyism?

Mon Nov 29 00:53:06 MST 1999

Very interesting thread on McCarthyism.  It is of course of crucial
importance that we recognize that as Carroll pointed out it was not started
by McCarthy and that it both predated and postdated him.  Didn't James
Cagney make Yankee Doodle Dandy because he was attacked by HUAC over his
support for the CPUSA and the Sottsboro Boys case?

As regards what is Un-American, my sympathies are with Carroll.  Recently
Jenny George of the Australian Congress of Trade Unions described the new
industrial legislation as 'Un Australian'.  This land like the USA has seen
genocide and slavery.  There is nothing un-Australian about the Industrial
legislation.

regards

Gary