Lukacs and the Frankfurt School

Philip Ferguson PLF13 at SPAMstudent.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Nov 28 19:52:30 MST 1999

Michael Pugliese suggested pulping the Phil Slater book.

Well, er, Mike, I'd rather read it first.

It looks like a good book to me and is interesting because it is a specifically
Marxist perspective on the Frankfurt School.  Jay, if I am not mistaken, is the
son-in-law of Harold Wilson, the now deceased ex Labour PM of Britain, and I am rather
dubious whether Jay's politics are up to much better than Wilson's.

Slater actually commends Jay's book, but I doubt it could be described as a Marxist
analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the Frankfurters.  (Which is not to say
that it isn't still a good book.)

Anyway, I'll get back to you when I have actually read Slater's book.  In the
meantime, all I can say is that it looks OK and people interested in the Frankfurt
School should give it a once-over.

Cheers,
Phil