hello hello

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Mon Nov 29 12:09:42 MST 1999

Hi Roland,

Got the Report on the Innu and read it cover to cover; truly tagic and of
course, the usual. I noted that there was no mention of Articles II and III
of the UN Convention on Genocide 1948 ratified by Canada in 1953 in citing
International Law. I wonder why.

I'll get on those books you mentioned and read them right away and then of
course get on your review to see if I can add anything--I doubt it as you
are so thorough--but perhaps something from the perspective of a political
economist/radical/Indian/perpetual malcontent/irreverent iconoclast etc.

Take care and thanks for thinking of me to add to the material.I do like the
idea of starting from English common Law and International Law: One can
infer intent to engineer or cause the consequences of an act when it is
clear to a reasonable and prudent person that certain consequences will
inexorably or highly probably flow from the act; it gets even better when
internal documents can be shown that demonstrate "mens rea" in that the
documents show clear awareness of the inexorable consequences of an act and
those consequences are hidden under a public facade of supposed opposite or
different consequences than those alluded to in secret documents.

See the secret Summers Memo by Lawrence Summers for example:

                              MEMO

"DATE: December 12, 1991 "TO: Distribution "FR:Lawrence H. Summers "Subject
GEP

" 'Dirty' Industries: Just between you and me, shouldn't the World Bank be
encouraging MORE migration of the dirty industries to the LDCs [Less
Developed Countries]? I can think of threee reasons:

1) The measurements of the costs of health impairing pollution depends on
the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and mortality. From this
point of view a given amount of health impairing pollution should be done in
a country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest
wages. I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in
the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that.

2) The costs of pollution are likely to be non-linear as the initial
increments of pollution probably have very low cost. I've always though[t]
that under-populated countries in Africa are vastly
UNDER-polluted...compared to Los Angeles or Mexico City. Only the lamentable
facts that so much pollution is generated by non-tradable industries
(transport, electrical generation) and that the unit transport costs of
solid waste are so high prevent world welfare enhancing trade in air
pollution and waste.

3) The demand for a clean environment for aesthetic and health reasons is
likely to have very high income elasticity. The concern or an agent that
causes a one in a million change in the odds of prostrate [sic] cancer is
obviously going to be much higher in a country where people survive to get
prostrate [sic] cancer than in a country where under 5 mortality is 200 per
thousand. Also much of the concern over industrial atmosphere discharge is
about visibility impairing particulates. These discharges may have very
little direct health impact. Clealry trade in goods that embody aesthetic
pollution concerns could be welfare enhancing. While production is mobile
the consumption of pretty air is a non-tradable.

The problem with the arguments against all of these proposals for more
pollution in LDCs (intrinsic rights to certain goods, moral reasons, social
concerns, lack of adequate markets, etc) could be turned around and used
more of less effectively against every Bank proposal for liberalization."
[End of Memo]

Of course this disgusting memo would have warmed Eichmann to the bone. After
this memo became public in February 1992, Brazil's then-Secretary of the
Environment Jose Lutzenburger wrote back to Summers: "Your reasoning is
perfectly logical but totally insane...Your thoughts [provide] a concrete
example of the unbelievable alienation, reductionist thinking, social
ruthlessness and the arrogant ignorance of many conventional 'economists'
concerning the nature of the world we live in..If the World Bank keeps you
as vice-president it will lose all credibility. To me it would confirm what
I have often said... the best thing that could happen would be for the Bank
to disappear."

Lutzenburger was fired shortly after his letter to Summers while Summers
went on to become US Secretary of the Treasury. Yes, genocide is the intent
and the probable if not inexorable outcome of these neoliberal policies in
the real world.

Jim

James Craven
Clark College, 1800 E. McLoughlin Blvd.