NZ nuclear ships ban

Sun Oct 3 21:12:04 MDT 1999

Russell,

    Actually, very little of my thinking is dominated by the forms the
movement of capital has assumed at the present time.

    In terms of the possibility of interimperialist war, it is mostly
"dominated" by the order of battle of the armed forces of the imperialist
countries.

    I must admit that I don't recall ever having read the Baran book, nor do
I have even the foggiest notion of who he was or what he stood for. I just
note that you pull a swindle: you quote Baran's statement about
inter-imperialist war being unlikely, and in the next sentence you pretend
it was a statement about "the elimination of" imperialist war in general,
and how this fit in with peaceful coexistence and so on. Perhaps that was
also Baran's viewpoint, but what you chose to quote is a quite simple
description of how things stood between the imperialists in the late 1950s,
a statement that, if anything, is more justified today than it was then.

    Having thus decisively refuted my statement in 1999 by as far as I can
tell an attack on a position you attribute to someone else when I was seven,
you take refuge in perfectly empty abstractions like "we need to be wary of
formulating new stages of capitalism that are qualitatively different from
the past."

    If you can come down from those lofty heights, I'd just like to know
what you're talking about in real-world terms.

Jose