US/UN/East Timor/Portugal

Michael Hoover hoov at SPAMfreenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat Oct 2 19:23:53 MDT 1999

Thanks to Ricardo Alves and João Paulo Monteiro for their informative
and reasoned responses (as well as their corrections) to my necessarily
general comments on Portugal.  Their posts are examples of the best
that e-lists have to offer.  Michael Hoover

btw1: Dean Acheson was Truman's Secretary of State who, before, Korea
counseled a military build-up and, later, was the first to recommend
fighting in that country.

btw2: Michael Parenti wrote an article at the time of the Portugese
revo in a long-defunct US left-wing magazine but damn if I can find
the article or recall the name of the periodical.