The real problem with the new Reagan biography

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Oct 6 09:50:04 MDT 1999

Village Voice, October 6 - 12, 1999

DUTCHED BY AN ANGEL
BY RICK PERLSTEIN

Dutch: A Memoir of Ronald Reagan
By Edmund Morris
Random House, 884 pp., $35

I've known Edmund Morris since the days he, Ronnie "Dutch" Reagan, and I
went to Eureka College together back in the '30s. I knew Dutch long before
Morris did, of course; Perlsteins have been around Reagans pretty much
since both our families came over from Ireland in the 1850s. So when I saw
that Eddie had just published Dutch, you can be sure I was interested to
see what he'd come up with.

Well, one thing's for sure: that's the Edmund Morris I remember. The
constant dropping of foreign phrases (10 in the first 16 pages!), the
spouting of obscure lines of poetry: "Not until Reagan confronted the green
mounds of Bergen-Belsen, and realized what dread fertilizer enriched their
heather covering, did the alabaster become flesh, and terror and pity-
emotions that Hazlitt says are concomitant with tragedy- stir in my
breast." He was always such a pretentious ass. And so full of himself: It's
the president of the United States everyone's interested in, but you
wouldn't know it from the number of pages here about Edmund Morris.

But never mind the narcissism; his American history is either cartoonish or
just plain wrong. He calls Dutch's adolescent years "the last days of
American innocence." But they were also the days of the Klan's control of
much of the Republican Party in the Midwest, the racist Immigration Act
(1924), eugenics, riots, savage strikes, and ruthless strike-breaking.
Eddie spent much of the time in England while this story was unfolding, but
that doesn't excuse bad history.

When it comes to depicting partisan politics, he's unfair to the point of
inanity. In this book, mature, law-abiding adults are almost all
conservatives, the left the province of smug, stupid, starry-eyed kids,
kneecap-busting union goons, Communist double-dealers, and weepy apologists
for Stalin. Taxes are always "punitive," welfare an occasion to commit
fraud, "liberal" always in quotation marks. All England's problems in 1949
are caused by its Labor government- never mind the fact that it lost
millions of young men and half of London in the war. He calls all late-'60s
racial politics "Black anarchy" and the 1980s European nuclear freeze
movement "pro-Soviet" (2 million people taking to the streets over one
weekend in 1984- that's a lot of Moscow stooges, even for Europe). He
writes as if all of Reagan's political projects were received with
unanimous acclaim. He cried when Reagan recovered from his 1981 shooting.
"But again, who had not?"

Since Morris thinks conservatism is the natural estate of humanity, he
doesn't even bother to analyze how Reagan came to travel from New Deal
liberalism to a very idiosyncratic far-right conservatism by the early '60s
(one would think it's an important issue, since his brand of conservatism
became the political status quo by the late '90s). Eddie dates Dutch's
conversion to the summer of 1946, when Dutch decided he was an
"anticommunist," and leaves it at that- as if practically the whole country
weren't anticommunist then, many of the most fervent occupying the left
wing of the Democratic Party. He could have at least cast a glance at the
hothouse context of Southern Californian politics of that time; it would
have cleared up a lot of what is most mysterious about Ronald Reagan. He
mentions that Dutch chaired the 1962 Senate candidacy of Orange County
lawyer Lloyd Wright, but he doesn't mention his platform. Wright thought we
should give the Soviet Union an ultimatum to get out of Eastern Europe,
"and if they didn't, I'd commence shooting. If we have to blow up Moscow,
that's too bad." The bombing begins in five minutes.

No, when it comes to politics, Eddie Morris is keen to make Reagan look as
good as possible- conveniently achieved by mostly ignoring domestic
politics after the 1983 economic recovery in favor of the story of how
Dutch "won" the Cold War by bankrupting the Soviet Union. It's a canard
that has virtually become gospel for the right, dishonoring the dissidents
who put their life on the line to fight the regime, and disregarding the
USSR's own Vietnam in Afghanistan, or the fact that the system had been
slowly atrophying for 70 years. And since Morris is more interested in
depicting Jimmy Carter as a foil for the Bad America before Dutch came
along than as a flesh-and-blood historical figure, we never learn that the
military buildup Reagan gets credit for started under Carter. Instead he
simply claims that "since kissing Brezhnev in 1979," Carter "had suffered
agonies of unrequited brotherly love."

Which is strange, because when it comes to explaining Reagan the man,
Morris is viciously accurate. This Reagan is the Reagan of his enemies: he
doesn't recognize his own son (whom he nicknamed schmuck) at his
graduation, builds his own house based on a movie set, launches into
endless irrelevant stories at certain trigger words like "horse," as if he
were one of the brainwashed soldiers in The Manchurian Candidate. There is
"the fundamentally childlike, bipolar quality of his mind . . . the
majestic perversity of his memory . . . abstracted to the point of
catatonia." Then Morris socks readers with a double whammy: he argues that
this looseness with the facts is at the heart of Dutch's virtue- his
"ability to reduce a situation to its simple essence," how he "struggled
against circumstance and bent it to his will."

I always thought it was easy to understand how Reagan turned out this way:
his dad was the town drunk, moved the family 14 times before Dutch turned
18. Nothing like a life of horrified chaos to addict a fellow to fantasy,
keep his human vulnerability hidden at all costs, and attract him to a core
set of simpleminded bedrock dogmas. But Eddie- who was always a bit
psychologically obtuse- doesn't think his upbringing has anything to do
with it. "Nothing," he writes, "not even Jack's binges and Nelle's despair,
seems to have affected his preternatural, lifelong calm."

It's enough to make me write a memoir of my own. Anyone have $3 million to
spare?

Louis Proyect