"Columbus Day"

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Mon Oct 4 14:09:26 MDT 1999

To the Campus Community:

All day today KBOO Radio 90.7 FM will be broadcasting a "Columbus Day" or
anti-Columbus Day special to offer another perspective on Columbus and his
legacies.

>From Columbus' Diary: "As soon as they [Indigenous Peoples encountered by
Columbus] that they are safe and have laid aside all fear, they are very
simple and honest and exceedingly liberal with all they have; none of them
refusing anything he [sic] may possess when he is asked for it, but, on the
contrary, inviting us to ask them. They exhibit great love toward all others
in preference to themselves. They also give objects of great value for
trifles, and content themselves with very little or nothing in return...I do
not find, as some of us had expected, any cannibals among them, but on the
contrary, men of great deference and kindness."

"...should your Majesties command it, all the inhabitants could be taken
away to Castille [Spain], or made slaves on the island. With 50 men we could
subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want."
("Rethinking Columbus: Teaching About the 500th Anniversary of Columbus'
Arrival in America"

And from Bartolome de Las Casas (1474-1566), a Dominican Catholic Priest who
was a contemporary of Columbus, an eye-witness who accompanied the Spanish
Conquistadores (to bless the troops in the name of the Church)
and the first and contemporary historian of the activities of Columbus and
his troops:

"[The Spaniards] made bets as to who would slit a man in two, or cut off his
head at one blow; or they opened up his bowels. They tore the babes from
their mother's breast by their feet and dashed their heads against the
rocks...They spitted the bodies of other babes, together with their mothers
and all who were before them, on their swords."
(Bartolome de las Casas, The Spanish Colonie, Brevisma relacion)
quoted in "Indians Are Us?: Culture and Genocide in Native North America" by
Ward Churchill, Common Courage Press, Monroe, ME, 1994, p. 32)

Finally, genocide and racism still continue today in Indian Country. The
letter below was sent to a list to be considered. No intent is made here to
bash any particular religion or Church, but suffice to say that any theology
being spread and evangelized should be subject to scrutiny and consideration
in terms of the content, implications and consequences of that which is
being evangelized. I have no reason to believe that what is presented below
is anything but a genuine expression of concern of this person. The ideas
and practices alluded to in this letter may be found and are found in many
other denominations and religions and in their historical practices.

Again, this is not an expression of bigotry or an attack against any
religious group per se and anyone who sees it as such, might want to
consider how the doctines and practices discussed below feel for Indian
People and what consequences flow from those doctines and practices.

Jim Craven