Anti-US NZ imperialism (Re: Jose G. Perez)

Sat Oct 9 20:07:13 MDT 1999

>>No, Jose, do not take me wrong. I am the first one to know
that the battles over the South Atlantic were a joint
venture of Britain and the USA from the very beginning. The
USA may have been taken by surprise (I find it hard to
believe it, anyway) at first, but they soon recovered. What
I am saying is that it is precisely this kind of joint
venture that will be more and more elusive, complex and
eventually impossible in the years to come.<<

Nestor,

    I am not at all in the slightest an expert on the Malvinas War, but my
impression of it has always been that it was British-initiated and led, not
a "joint venture," or if a joint venture, one in which one partner acted had
way more at stake and acted on behalf of all. Of course, from the point of
view of American imperialism, the islands were British: they stole them fair
and square, and anyways, it was very bad to give a bad example.

The kind of description you give of the South Atlantic War is more how I'd
describe the current operation in East Timor.

Jose

>El  3 Oct 99 a las 22:24, Jose G. Perez nos dice(n):
>

>> I understand why someone in Argentina would have a
>> very painfully learned appreciation of the capacity for
>> autonomous action of an imperialist bourgeoisie even when
>> its own military establishment is dwarfed by that of the
>> Americans through the Malvinas war.
>
>No, Jose, do not take me wrong. I am the first one to know
>that the battles over the South Atlantic were a joint
>venture of Britain and the USA from the very beginning. The
>USA may have been taken by surprise (I find it hard to
>believe it, anyway) at first, but they soon recovered. What
>I am saying is that it is precisely this kind of joint
>venture that will be more and more ellusive, complex and
>eventually impossible in the years to come.
>
>I am answering a late posting of yours, para by para. So
>maybe there will be more on this today.
>
>Nestor.

---

Free computers.  Free Internet access.  I don't pay -- why should you?
Click on www.free-pc.com to get started today!