Fellow workers

Jonathan Flanders jon_flanders at SPAMcompuserve.com
Tue Oct 5 17:48:32 MDT 1999

We went to hear Utah Phillips and Rosalie Sorrell last year at Rensselaer
Polytechnics Student Union. They packed the place; we had to sit in the
back behind a pillar.

He is a very engaging performer and raconteur, but unfortunately Rosalie
was not his match in this department, and her long, rambling anecdotes
slowed the evening considerably. You notice things like this when you have
kids along.

One has to take Utah's "fellow workers" line with a pinch of salt; his real
heroes are the hobos who make careers avoiding any form of labor. One of
his best stories that night in Troy concerned a scam performed by one of
his "labor averse" friends, involving the borrowing of a dollar bill and a
certain nasal legerdemain. I won't spoil the story by trying to tell it
here.

Jon Flanders