Los Van Van

Mon Oct 11 16:57:14 MDT 1999

Unfortunately, my only album by them got nicked.  I can't remember the
title, but it had my favourite Van Van song on it, the beautiful 'Muevete'.
Fortunately I had also taped this song, so have it on cassette.

I had heard of Van Van while residing in London in the mid-80s, but in 1985
I went to Cuba on a European work brigade.  The first day in camp, I heard
this haunting, beautiful song on the radio and asked one of the Cubans what
it was.  It was 'Muevete', and it turned up frequently on the radio during
my month or so there.

It is one of my most abiding memories of Cuba, actually.

It was a really 'lazy, hazy days of summer' song as well, but also romantic
and nice to dance to in camp at night.

There was also a band that came to the camp once, but whose name I can't
remember.  They were either all blind or their female lead vocalist was
blind.  They were a pretty funky outfit, and very enjoyable.

The Cuban music certainly beat the bloody Michael Jackson records booming
out of the Czech consulate in Havana.

Philip Ferguson