A reply to Carrol Cox

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Oct 11 19:04:46 MDT 1999

Carrol Cox wrote:
>Capitalism began no later than the early 16th century. No marxist (at
>least no marxist who has read marx) ever identified capitalism and
>industrialism. If you are deserting marxism for one or another version
>of world system theory, well and good, but I prefer to debate with
>marxists.

Yes, I have deserted Marxism for world systems theory and I will debate you
here, whatever your preferences. What you don't understand is that Brenner
DOES draw an equation between industrial capitalism and capitalism.  That
is basically the problematic that Mintz was referring to. Carlos Rebello
made that exact point here, possibly while you were counting stars or
something. Now Carlos is a very strict orthodox Marxist who understands
this here problem with Brenner. Perhaps you with all your pontification
about who is a proper Marxist does not. Pay closer attention to the
arguments and you will.

>The debate on pen-l was long and messy, and many of the posts
>were not so much opposed as simply on different topics. To
>fwd a small selection of those posts to marxism is utterly obscurantist.

You are no longer on PEN-L. You are here. It is time for you and I to enter
the ring and square off. 37 fucking baiting attacks on me that I ignored.
Your "ideological babble", Max's right-wing provocations and Wojtek's
racist interventions helped to derail the discussion over there completely.
Now it is time to speak of cabbages and kings. I love a good debate,
Carrol, don't you?

>I cannot imagine why you are choosing to desert almost everything
>you have argued for for years. You seem to be incrasingly moving
>towards the position of the productivist marxist, cohen.
>
>Carrol

Are you referring to G.A. Cohen? Please supply an exact citation, if you
can drag yourself away from your computer terminal and find the library on
your college campus. I suspect that you are blowing hot air, but will give
you the opportunity to prove that I am wrong.

Louis Proyect