China mourns Nyerere.(People's Daily)

Fri Oct 15 16:22:21 MDT 1999

¡¡¡¡Chinese President Jiang Zemin on October 14 sent a message of
condolences to his Tanzanian counterpart Benjamin Mkapa mourning the death
of founder of the east African nation Julius Nyerere.

¡¡¡¡Jiang said, "I am shocked to learn the unfortunate death of H.E.Julius
Kambarage Nyerere, former President of your esteemed country.

¡¡¡¡At this sad moment, I wish to express, on behalf of the Chinese
government and people and in my own name, deep condolences and profound
solicitudes to Your Excellency and through Your Excellency, to the Tanzanian
government and people, and to the family of the late Mwalimu (teacher)
Nyerere."

¡¡¡¡"Mwalimu Nyerere is the founding father of your great country who enjoys
high respect of your people and is a statesman and international activist
widely renowned in Africa and the world at large," Jiang remarked.

¡¡¡¡"He has dedicated his whole life to the great cause of independence and
progress of Tanzania and the African continent, and has played an important
role in the promotion of South-South Co-operation and South-North Dialogue.

¡¡¡¡"As one of the founders of Sino-Tanzanian friendship, Mwalimu Nyerere
has made precious contributions to the maintenance and promotion of the
Sino-Tanzanian friendship over the years. His death has resulted a loss of a
longstanding friend of the Chinese people, whom we greatly regret and feel
sorry for," the Chinese President said in the message.

¡¡¡¡Jiang added,"I herewith have the honor to express my willingness to join
Your Excellency in our concerted efforts to continue consolidating and
developing the Sino-Tanzanian friendly relations and co-operation that were
created and nurtured jointly by Mwalimu Nyerere and the senior generations
of the Chinese leaders."

WorldNews 1999-10-15 Page1