Were sugar plantations capitalist?

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Tue Oct 12 10:57:19 MDT 1999

TAHIR WOOD wrote:

> It's quite hard to know exactly what this debate is about,

The reason it is hard is because "it" should be plural, "debates,"
instead of singular, "the debate." As I've said before, the major
debate between Lou and me concerns what the debate is
between Lou and me. We disagree over what it is we disagree
over.

For example, I agree with almost everything Lou has ever written
about capitalism and imperialism in the 18th, 19th, and 20th
centuries. Probably if we explored it a little bit, I would agree
with him on most that he has to say about the 16th and
17th centuries.

I disagree with him mostly on what I think is his false praise
of capitalism. The cluster of threads on Pen-L began with a
really stupid post from an overt enemy of marxism in which
he asked why China had "failed" to develop capitalism. The
implication of the question, of course, is that there is something
wrong with a people who so fail. I deny that the question is
a legitimate one, and claim that even asking the question is
racist and eurocentrist.

But instead of responding to that argument, both Lou Proyect
and Jim Blaut have a tendency to respond with another avalanche
of arguments (with which I of course agree) about how much
capitalism depends on imperialism. In other words, I ask a
question about the *origins* of capitalism, and they answer
with arguments about the *growth* or *development* of
capitalism. I agree with almost all of those arguments but
claim that they are totally irrelevant to the argument that I
am making.

My best attempt so far to state my concern was the post to
Pen-L copied below.

Carrol