Jose Ramos Horta & NATO

Thu Oct 14 05:38:34 MDT 1999

> From: Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky
> Partly so. But my fears arise from some anecdote I have
> been told of the East Timorese and the Australian troops
> during the Second World War: they urged those troops to
> stay there after they rejected the Japanese. They did not
> fight the Australians at all. I will not judge them for
> this (I am not a judge, in general, Joao). But the fact
> remains.

I think that this anecdote was mine, and that it was misunderstood.

"Portuguese" Timor was brought into the Second World War when Australia
invaded it.  As Portuguese territory, it was at least notionally neutral.
Many Timorese supported the Australian troops while they were present, and
protected them against the Japanese.  After the Australians left, around
40,000 Timorese were massacred by the Japanese for their "collaboration".

Why did the East Timorese support the Australians versus the Japanese?
Damned if I know.  I don't think the Portuguese administration did more
than make face-saving protests.  Maybe the Australians were supported
because they were not the Portuguese....

> What I have is a deep feeling of danger for the E.T.s:
> while they have a chance to integrate under these
> reasonable and human conditions to an Indonesia that tends
> to change sides, in one of those slow and mighty movements
> that one can at most sniff, they have no chance to be left
> in peace if they accept the imperialist offer.

How reasonable and human the Indonesian military is!  How slowly and
mightily they change sides!

Alan Bradley
alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au