What's in the latest Green Left Weekly? #381 October 20, 1999

Green Left Parramatta glparramatta at SPAMgreenleft.org.au
Tue Oct 19 10:17:59 MDT 1999

                                   *
                            Green Left Weekly,
                                 Issue #381
                              October 20, 1999
                         http://www.greenleft.org.au
Green Left Weekly provides news, information, opinion and debate from an
environmental and left perspective.

Featured this week:

RICH NATIONS TIGHTEN THE SCREWS While there is talk about "forgiving" some
of the debt of the poorest countries, the reality is that the imperialist
countries are continuing to amass riches at the expense of the Third World.

COVER STORY

 * Fake debt write-off: rich nations tighten the screws
 * The rich get richer and the poor get advice

INTERNATIONAL NEWS

 * Xanana: `We have not been rendered powerless'
 * Mumia Abu-Jamal's death warrant signed
 * Colombia: US moves to restore order in its `backyard'
 * Privatisation behind British train disaster
 * East Timorese youth leader urges continued solidarity
 * International call for bear hunt moratorium
 * Kurdish women appeal for solidarity
 * US Senate rejects nuclear test ban
 * Zimbabwe: health workers' strike for a better system
 * The campaign against GM crops in Britain
 * From bad to worse at Tokaimura
 * Military takes over Pakistan
 * Martial law imposed
 * Plutonium shipments challenged
 * Indonesia: behind the jostling for president

ISSUES

 * `False memory syndrome' and sexual assault
 * `A critical time for the solidarity movement'
 * Activists plan solidarity with Indonesia and East Timor
 * Genetically modified organisms in Australia
 * Editorial: Harsh strings on aid to PNG
 * Networker: More than a technology
 * Murdoch off-side in league coverage
 * You and politics: a rare but enlightening combination

FEATURES

 * Historical feature: The PKI turns to Sukarno

RESISTANCE MAGAZINE

 * Kemp plans to dismantle public education
 * Students fight Kemp
 * The thick end of the privatisation wedge
 * Eyewitness in East Timor
 * East Timorese student speaks
 * Old wine in new bottles at QUT
 * Indonesian students demand: military out of politics!
 * Plans for student solidarity
 * Pollution: profit over people
 * Griffith University elections

NEWS

 * Opposition to nuclear waste dump
 * Activists contest Centrelink elections
 * Politics in the pub launched in Lismore
 * Brisbane Resistance Centre spooked
 * More Hunter jobs threatened
 * `No jobs on a dead planet'
 * Sutherland Council to campaign against reactor
 * Energex pay scandal
 * Activist centre in Melbourne to move
 * Action updates
 * Members First gathers momentum in ACT
 * Westpac chews off the hand that feeds it
 * Meeting condemns `murderous' nuclear industry
 * NTEU strikes at Newcastle University
 * Rio Tinto's court win challenges union movement
 * University forces non-union ballot

CULTURAL DISSENT

 * Festival to feast on in Adelaide
 * Bohinta: Changing shapes
 * Henry Reynolds book: A part of Australian history to be proud of

REGULAR FEATURES

 * Loose cannons
 * ... and ain't i a woman?: Who are they trying to kid?
 * I Looking out: will act the way I am treated
 * Life of Riley: Dilated to meet you
 * On the box
 * Write on: letters to the editor
 * Chris Kelly cartoon

MEETINGS … PARTIES … ANYTHING …

 * Adelaide
 * Brisbane & S-E Queensland
 * Canberra
 * Darwin
 * Hobart
 * Lismore & NSW North Coast
 * Melbourne
 * Newcastle
 * Perth & Fremantle
 * Rockhampton
 * Sydney
 * Sydney West & Blue Mountains
 * Wollongong & NSW South Coast

All articles appearing in Green Left Weekly, and reprinted here, are
copyright by their authors. However, most regular contributors have granted
permission for their work to be republished by non-profit green, left,
human rights or generally progressive publications.

Where such permission has NOT been granted, articles are marked with the
symbol && in the index below. Before reprinting such an article, or if
uncertain whether your publication is allowed to reprint, please inquire by
e-mail at glw at greenleft.org.au.

ALL cartoons are copyright and must not be reproduced without permission of
the artist.

  We like to know what audiences we are reaching, and would therefore
appreciate being informed of any republication (in print or
electronically).

 *
                           glw at greenleft.org.au