LA -BRC on Mumia death warrant

Fri Oct 22 14:10:32 MDT 1999

The Following is a Press Release/Statement from the Black Radical Congress

STATEMENT OF THE BLACK RADICAL CONGRESS:
MUMIA ABU-JAMAL - DEATH WARRANT SIGNED

October 18, 1999

Many who are familiar with the attempt to murder Mumia Abu-Jamal at the
hands of the "Criminal Justice System" registered shock, grief, and anger
after hearing the news that Pennsylvania Governor Thomas Ridge has signed
a death warrant for Mumia. The signing of this death warrant signals that
the stakes have been raised in the battle to save Mumia Abu-Jamal's life
and the state's attempt to kill him. This development also signals for
those who have been involved in efforts to obtain justice for Mumia, the
urgent need to escalate our efforts. A loud and united voice MUST send
forth the message that people will not capitulate in their efforts to stop
the execution of Mumia. Our efforts MUST proceed with the utmost
determination.

It has been repeatedly stated that justice denied to Mumia is justice
denied to us all. Mumia's execution will confirm resonantly for many Black
people in this country that no Black person has any rights that this
country is obligated to respect. This is the main issue here and we should
not lose sight of this historic fact. The predicament that Mumia finds
himself, is reflective of the of day to day injustices that Black men and
women in this society have had to endure since their enslavement and
subsequent second class status in the U.S. Everyday in this nation's
courts, Black people without the means to make excessive bail and who are
too poor to retain effective counsel, are at the mercy of racist judges
and juries. Recent repressive legislation has given state courts the green
light to deprive Black men and women of constitutional and human rights.

For many in our communities, Mumia's situation sets no precedent. However,
what is particular about Mumia's case, is his consistent refusal to allow
this blatant injustice to go unheard. And due to the tremendous outpouring
of support for Mumia, he is being used as an example to those who would
dare challenge this racist and class based system. In other words
silencing Mumia is an attempt by the state to silence the unruly, the
outspoken, and the dreamers of a new society.

The Black Radical Congress calls forth all progressive forces in this
country in general and the Black community in particular, to transcend
ideological differences, in order to unite and surpass the momentum of the
state's executioners. The Black Radical Congress recognizes that the
gravity of Mumia's current situation dictates that we magnify our efforts
in calling attention to Mumia's plight, and continue mobilizing all those
who will suffer from the ramifications of this great injustice that is
being orchestrated by repressive forces in this country, so that we may
bring pressure to bear in attaining justice for Mumia Abu-Jamal.

IT'S TIME TO RAISE THE POLITICAL STAKES!!!

-30-

The Black Radical Congress
National Office
P.O. Box 490365
Atlanta, GA 30349
Phone: (404) 768-2529
Fax: (404) 614-8563

BRC-PRESS: Black Radical Congress - Official Press Releases/Statements
Subscribe: Email "subscribe brc-press" to <majordomo at tao.ca>
Archive: http://www.egroups.com/group/brc-press (The first time, you need
to "Join" and set your preferences to "Read on the Web")
Questions/Problems: Send email to <worker-brc-press at lists.tao.ca>
www.blackradicalcongress.org    | BRC |    blackradicalcongress at email.com