Jose/Higher wages and productivity

michael perelman michael at SPAMecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Oct 20 21:49:09 MDT 1999

Phil and Jose are witing along lines that have fascinated me for a long time.

I don't think any particular school of thought emphasized the effect of high
wages on productivity, although isolated writers did do so.  I believe that high
wages were indeed central to the productivity lead that the United States
developed.  I've written about this in a number of books.

Gardens, and even the raising of livestock, was common in New York in the early
1800s.  I've also written about the dialectical role of gardens, in terms of both
providing a means of resistance to capital, as well as increasing every surplus
value by cheapening of labor-power.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department