João Cabral

Carlos Eduardo Rebello crebello at SPAMantares.com.br
Mon Oct 25 01:31:59 MDT 1999

I made a lot of typos in my João Cabral piece, but, interstingly, put
that Cabral want to make "substantive *pottery*", That would perhaps
made him happy, as he regerded _poetry_ exactly as a kind of material
art like pottery or mattalurgy. It must be also remembered that this
great poet - surprisingly for a Brazilian - hated _any_ kind of music
-"music is noise", he used to say. As to his non-polictically correct
tastes, it must be remembered that he absolutely loved bullfights, which
prompted him to write a beautiful poem in praise of the Spanish
bullfighter Manolete, whom he regarded as *the* master in the "simple"
art of killing a bull with a single stroke (João Cabral hated
bullfighting antics, like El Cordobes's). And, finally, this is a place
as good as any to try my hand with a trans. of one of his love poems:

"Whenever you would on the phone
speak to me, I would say
That you were speaking from a room
with light filled