Colombia and Ireland

David Bruce dave_bruce at SPAMryelands.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 03:31:59 MST 1999

This use of the phrase "Sinn Fein/IRA" has gone too far. It is a mantra
chanted at every opportunity by sundry Orange spokesmen, prominent
Protestant bigots and their (usually Tory party) hangers-on - i.e.
representatives of the far right.

It is evident there has been a sharpened differentiation between the
political and the military within what was - some years ago - called the
Provos. However we may judge that, it is in Orange interests to deny it. To
adopt their terminology is, at best, poor taste and, at worst, to play
their game. One would not uncritically adopt racist terminology as a
convenient political label - why do so in this case?

 >Anyway to say that people who use the term Sinn Fein/IRA are pro-British
lets
 >the pussy kitten out of Jim's little bag. On the basis of this view of
Jim's he must be
 >anti-British --a chauvinism revolutionary communists would never
subscribe to. I am
 >neither anti nor pro-British. I have nothing, unlike Jim against the
British masses.
 >However I am anti-British imperialism which is why I seek to promote the
truth.

This is unacceptable as well as illogical.

Dave

>Jim Monaghan writes:
>I wrote privately to Pennefather about using the term Sinn Fein/IRA. I now
>share it . Only pro British elements couple Sinn Fein with the IRA. This
>is in order that they can eventually ban Sinn Fein along with the IRA. It
>may seem legalistic to ultra lefts but it is dangerous to provide
>ammunition to the Bourgeoisie.
>
>George: Jim does not seem to remember his history. Not so long ago Sinn
>Fein/IRA and their
>supporters including the organisation of which Jim has been a supporter
>Peoples Democracy
>called Sinn Fein/IRA the Provos. The Provos meant both the Sinn Fein and
>the IRA features
>of the force. Yet at the time the view was not expressed that the use of
>the term was what
>Jim calls "pro-British". Now when it suits Jim and his friends in the
>Provos they now
>shift away from this term and now like to dishonestly draw a distinction
>between Sinn Fein
>and the IRA even to the point of falsely suggesting that the two wings of
>the Provos are
>entirely independent from each other. I support the truth. Sinn Fein and
>the IRA are forms
>of one and the same organisation (remember the old shibboleth -"up the
>Provies" or
>Provos). If telling the truth is now considered to be wrong by people like
>Jim then so let
>me be wrong. Anyway to say that people who use the term Sinn Fein/IRA are
>pro-British lets
>the pussy kitten out of Jim's little bag. On the basis of this view of
>Jim's he must be
>anti-British --a chauvinism revolutionary communists would never subscribe
>to. I am
>neither anti nor pro-British. I have nothing, unlike Jim against the
>British masses.
>However I am anti-British imperialism which is why I seek to promote the
>truth.
>

>Warm regards
>George Pennefather
>
>Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
>http://homepage.tinet.ie/~beprepared/

David Bruce, Woodside Cottage, Ryelands,
Strathaven, Lanarkshire,  ML10 6QF
Tel:+44(0)1357 440459 Fax:+44(0)1357 440464