Individualism in Marx

Wed Sep 1 15:29:54 MDT 1999

> Chris Matthew Sciabarra <cms10 at is2.nyu.edu> 09/01/99 04:55PM
I think we're living in very different times from the 19th century, and
with the increasing democratization of information thru such things as the
Internet, ideas are transmitted at dizzying speeds, yes, but they are also
in a "marketplace" of other ideas that are constantly interacting across
space and time.
((((((((((

Charles: I just meant Marx's influence in changing the world was not as subtle as
Rand's 17 years after his death. In fact, the new rapid technology would be to Rand's
advantage in the rapidity of making her influence not subtle.

((((((((((

As for central planning, I believe it is the most non-dialectical element
within Marxism.  It assumes that it is possible to have synoptic knowledge
of a totality, and proceeds to plan on the basis of the presumption.

(((((((((((

Charles: By synoptic you mean an abstract whole, summary, like I asked you to give of
your ideas in the first post. Every table of contents of a book simulates one. An
outline of the whole.

Doesn't dialectics have as a central concept that synoptic knowledge of a totality is
possible at one phase of the thought process ? Marx proceeds from the abstract to the
concrete and all that. Doesn't this deny abstract thought ?

Every word we use is an abstraction , a synopsis of a whole.

((((((((((((

 It
ignores the kind of "tacit" knowledge that is essential to entrepreneurial
and creative processes, which are always related to particular
circumstances and contexts.  This is a pretty dense claim, I realize, and
would take us into pretty intense debate... Lou Proyect witnessed these
debates some years ago, debates that I participated in and that went on for
months, literally.  I don't know if that material is archived anywhere...
but if it is, Lou, let us know!  :)

Charles: Maybe you could give a synopsis of the debate :>)

Charles Brown