Chomsky et al miss the point re: East Timor

Julio Fernández Baraibar julfb at SPAMsinectis.com.ar
Sun Sep 12 08:18:08 MDT 1999

This mail of Jared Israel is excellent. Really it is one of the best I have
read about the issue.
I agree. This central idea that he exposes is: "Indonesia is no longer
simply a cooperative client state.  It is a juicy morsel that could be lost
to the US, Japan, et al. it could suffer the Malaysian disease (conservative
economic independence) -- or worse yet, the Venezuelan disease (left-leaning
economic independence)- so it has to be broken up and given the Afghan
disease (preventive medicine)". I think this is correct and brilliantly
exposed.
 Julio F.B.