East Timor

Sun Sep 12 23:14:10 MDT 1999

snipped.

>I might also have to mention Macdonald Stainsby, who seems to be calling
>for
>abstention from the movement in support of the Timorese.  This would, of
>course, be a most bizarre option in Australia, for starters.

No. I said it wouls simply be a bad idea to jump the bandwagon of the
slogans "Free East Timor!" that will go up, with all the little parties
handing out mini-banners. Let time develop in the media campaign to see
where they are heading, then challenge the inevitably incorrect assertions.
Information, not celebration or condemnation is our secret weapon.

Never abstain, if there is time.

Macdonald

To criticize the people's shortcomings is neccessary, as we have already
said, but in so doing we must truly take the stand of the people and speak
out of whole hearted eagerness to protect and educate them. To treat
comrades like enemies is to go over to the stand of the enemy.

Mao Tse-tung, "Talks at the Yenan forum on literature and art".