Update on the SWP

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Sep 6 08:42:15 MDT 1999

>know me and got my name wrong.  Yet instead of debating Taylorism (and
>Lenin's support of it) and the whole nature of work in capitalism, why
>the labor movement shies away from discussing this subject, what workers
>think of their work, etc., he gives us a long and boring exegesis of the
>SWP. I think whenever I see SWP in the subject line, I'm going to press
>the delete button.  Louis P. has already taught me enough about it and
>in a more interesting manner.
>
>michael yates

Michael, from what I've seen of Jose on this list, I would characterize
both the sharpness of his comments on your post and his screwup of your
last name as atypical. Furthermore, did write a series of interesting posts
on the American economy which implicitly took a position on the current
situation of the working-class. I think that he has tended to minimize the
sort of contradictions that you drew attention to in "Why Unions Matter"
because veterans of the SWP are suspicious of anything that smacks of
overprojections. Obviously the goal is to arrive at a more balanced
appraisal of the objective situation through debate and discussion.

On the question of the SWP, Jose comes at it from a different angle
entirely and I find his comments interesting. He is examining things from a
perspective of somebody much closer to the inner circles, while I was
always, as Charlie Mingus puts it, "beneath the underdog".

My recommendation to one and all who find another list member's
contributions aggravating is to filter them out. I may even assign Carrol
Cox to be the majordomo of such techniques since he is such an ardent
believer in their value.

Louis Proyect