East Timor

Mon Sep 6 01:01:46 MDT 1999

At 09:19 05/09/99 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi Gary
>
>Why did Indonesia agree to a referendum in the first place?
>
>Warm regards
>George Pennefather
>
>Be free to check out our Communist Think-Tank web site at
>http://homepage.tinet.ie/~beprepared/

George,

This is a mystery to me.  Some commentators say that the Indonesian elite
could not afford to police East Timor anymore and so wanted to get rid of it.
But obviously another faction in the Army wants to oppose all separatist
tendencies in the Archipelago.

I think it is ominously significant that that piece of opportunistic filth
Sukarnoputri opposes independence for East Timor. She may be trying to
snuggle up to the generals.

In the meantime the death toll is now well over a hundred and climbing.

regards

Gary