Widening income gap

fajardos at SPAMix.netcom.com fajardos at SPAMix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 6 11:10:35 MDT 1999

In a vein similar to these figures, just yesterday on National Public
Radio
(in the US) I heard a report and interview with a guy, I can't recall
his name or profession, who has just written a book reporting that in
the current capitalist prosperity in the West the gap between managers
and workers has widened.  Whereas, he reported, in previous decades it
was common for CEOs to earn as much as 40 times what their average
worker did, in the 1990s it has become commonplace for CEOs to earn as
much as 400 times the wage of the average worker.  Moreover, despite the
protestations that that's waht it takes to get qualified managers these
days, there is in fact no rhyme or reason discernible behind those
incomes, they're not tied to productivity, they're not tied to
competition (at that level there's very little of that), or profit
levels, or industry compensation standards, or seemingly to anything
other than that being what CEOs are able to get sometimes out of some
companies. Of course, we would've never guessed, right?

juan fajardo