More Articles on Timor

Sam Pawlett rsp at
Fri Sep 10 23:48:39 MDT 1999

ASIET News Updates - September 10, 1999

* Supplies dwindle for 100,000 refugees forced into hills
* UN evacuates East Timor compound
* Killing will go on until UN leaves: Dili Mayor
* Marked for execution
* Time to pray, and run the militia gauntlet
* A general squeeze and Habibie succumbs to the pressure


Supplies dwindle for 100,000 refugees forced into hills

South China Morning Post - Friday, September 10, 1999

Up to 100,000 independence supporters are hiding in the
province's hills with food and water fast running out, East Timor
paramilitary group Falintil said yesterday.

More reports of deaths at the hands of pro-Indonesian militias
emerged, with victims said to include resistance leader Xanana
Gusmao's father, Manuel, 82, the priest heading the East Timorese
branch of Catholic aid agency Caritas and most of Caritas' 40
local employees.

Church groups said the priest, Father Francisco Barreto, was only
one of many priests and nuns who had been murdered.

The resistance fighters, who have waged a guerilla war against
Indonesia since its 1975 invasion of East Timor, told Australian
colleagues the militia violence during the past few days had
forced thousands to head for the hills.

"They don't know the exact number of people but they're saying
100,000, maybe more," said Fretilin Australia representative
Harold Moucho. Fretilin is the political wing of Falintil. Others
were wounded after attacks by rampaging anti-independence

Mr Moucho said East Timorese hiding in the hills still believed
the United Nations and the international community were on the
way to help them. "They are hoping that if they go into the
mountains for a while that things will be resolved quickly," he
said. However, the civilians may be putting themselves in greater
danger. The Falintil force, numbering 500 to 2,000, claims
Indonesian soldiers are trying to surround their bases in a
prelude to possible military action.

Mr Moucho said the planned UN withdrawal from the province was a
"betrayal" after it had organised the independence ballot that
sparked the violence.

Manuel Gusmao had been reportedly killed in Dili on Tuesday. The
fate of his wife and Mr Gusmao's mother, Antonia Gusmao, 70, was

Throughout yesterday, aides and friends kept the news from
Gusmao, 53, as he met a series of envoys from the UN and European
Union, appealing for international peacekeepers to save his

But after the last delegation left the British Embassy, they
broke the news. Three priests are believed to have been among
about 100 people reportedly killed during a militia attack on a
church in the town of Suai on Tuesday. Another 15 priests and six
nuns have been reported killed in Dili and Baucau.

Nobel laureate Bishop Carlos Belo, who is expected to meet Pope
John Paul in Rome next week, was forced to flee to Baucau and
arrived in Darwin, Australia, on Tuesday. Bishop Belo left
yesterday for Portugal.

The Indonesian military continued its mass transfer of East
Timorese to West Timor. It claims they are fleeing, but diplomats
and resistance and UN leaders say soldiers are forcibly deporting

The mass exodus from East Timor saw some 110,000 people entering
the Indonesian province of East Nusa Tenggara by yesterday its
governor, Piet Alexander Tallo, said. The International Committee
of the Red Cross estimated some 2,000 to 3,000 people were
crossing the border every hour.

The UN refugee agency said pro-Jakarta militias attacked refugee
camps in West Timor. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees Asia-
Pacific director, Francois Fouinat, said he had seen evidence of
attacks on West Timor refugee camps by East Timorese pro-Jakarta

UN evacuates East Timor compound

Associated Press - September 9, 1999

Dili -- The United Nations evacuated its embattled compound in
East Timor Friday, leaving but a skeleton crew to continue
working to bring the territory to full nationhood. Anti-
independence militias had trapped the workers for several days.

On Thursday, the Roman Catholic Church accused pro-Indonesian
militiamen of targeting nuns and priests in predominantly
Catholic East Timor, where voters have overwhelmingly chosen
independence from mostly Muslim Indonesia.

"The world is talking and we're dying," nun Esmeralda de Araujo
was quoted as saying by the Vatican's newspaper L'Osservatore
Romano. "It's hell here and I'd like to cry out to everybody to
save us. But no one seems to want to hear." Among those fleeing
Friday was UN mission head Ian Martin, wearing a light blue flak
jacket and riding on the back of one of the trucks heading for
the airport. Some gunfire was heard in the distance.

Keeping the UN compound functioning is considered key to the
world body's plans to give East Timor nation status after its
people voted overwhelmingly on August 30 for independence from
Indonesia, which invaded in 1975. The vote triggered a backlash
of looting, burning and killing by anti-independence militias.
The Indonesian army had pledged to ensure security.

More than 200,000 East Timorese have been forced to leave their
homeland, UN officials said. More than 50,000 were shipped to
militia-run camps in West Timor, where refugees told of massacres
and arson attacks by anti-independence militias either backed or
led by Indonesian army units.

International outrage grew Thursday, with the Pentagon suspending
official relations with the Indonesian military, and foreign
ministers at an Asia-Pacific summit demanding that Indonesian
leaders stop the rampaging militias. While some countries
advocated an international peacekeeping force, key nations shied
away from committing troops absent an invitation from the
Indonesian government. NATO said it wouldn't take part in such a

In Washington, Gen. Henry H. Shelton, chairman of the Joint
Chiefs of Staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee on
Thursday that the crisis presents no threat to US national
interests that would justify sending American troops. Shortly
after, President Clinton suspended relations with Indonesia's
military and insisted its government allow in international

The militias have reportedly killed about 100 people, including
three priests, in a grenade attack on a church in Suai, the
Vatican's missionary news agency Fides reported Thursday. Fifteen
priests and some nuns have been reported killed in Dili and

Caritas Australia said its East Timor office head, the Rev.
Francisco Barreto, and "most" of his staff had been killed. "The
militiamen have launched a targeted action of retaliation against
the Timorese church, accused of having backed the cause of
independence," Fides said.

The government has denied massacres are taking place. Officials
predicted the situation would stabilize when martial law takes
hold under a new general.

Refugees in the camps said their neighbors were killed, their
bodies dumped and mutilated in the days after the United Nations
announced the referendum's results. Many spoke Thursday on
condition of anonymity, fearing retribution from militia leaders.
"I saw dozens of people shot," said one man, who watched
militiamen storm Roman Catholic Bishop Carlos Belo's home in Dili
last Monday. "Militia men wearing black shirts and masks stabbed
a young man right in front of me. He bled to death." Jose Ramos
Horta, who won the 1996 Nobel Peace Prize along with Belo, has
warned of genocide and demanded international military

Independent confirmation of the death toll was impossible.
Militias have threatened to kill foreign journalists or observers
who try to enter East Timor or the refugee camps.

The 82-year-old father of rebel leader Jose Alexandre "Xanana"
Gusmao was killed by militias in an attack on a Dili suburb. The
news was kept from Gusmao, who was freed from house arrest
Tuesday, until he finished meeting with diplomats to plead for
international peacekeeping forces to rescue his homeland, which
is about the same size as Vermont.

Gusmao, widely expected to be the first president of an
independent East Timor, wept when he learned the news. The fate
of his mother, sister and brother-in-law were uncertain.

"He is a very strong man," said Ana Gomes, Portugal's
representative to Indonesia. "He says that he doesn't cry only
for his family -- he cries first and foremost for his people." In
the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, Foreign Minister Ali Alatas met
with a high-level UN delegation, but again rejected demands for
UN peacekeepers. He did admit, though, that some units in the
army were supporting the militias.

"Some rogue elements have been noted, among them, rogue army
elements, etc.," Alatas said. "We have had, in the past,
difficulties with rogue elements." President B.J. Habibie was
buffeted by reports that the military had encroached on his
powers, sending the stock market and currency into a nose-dive.

UN officials said about 200 employees, including police and
military officers, have volunteered to stay behind after other UN
international workers and 167 local staff members were evacuated
Friday morning by the Australian air force. Telephone and water
service were restored to the UN compound Thursday and an
Australian air force C-130 transport plane flew in supplies.

Before leaving, Martin, the mission chief, said the security
situation had improved, but was still dangerous.

"The state of the city is a disgrace with significant numbers of
militia members still roaming the streets with impunity," he
said. "Dili is a ghost town with not very much left to loot."
Martin said the Indonesian army promised to help relocate
hundreds of refugees in the UN compound to a new camp at Dare,
south of Dili.

In Jakarta, hundreds of anti-government student protesters
clashed with riot police outside parliament. Four protesters
against government actions in East Timor were injured when
officers dispersed the demonstrators.

Killing will go on until UN leaves: Dili Mayor

Agence France Presse - September 10, 1999

Kupang -- The mayor of the East Timorese capital Dili warned
Wednesday that the UN Mission in East Timor (UNAMET) had to leave
the territory or the killing and destruction there would

"If they don't go, it would be better if we just destroy
everything, because they have destroyed everything of ours," said
Mateus Haia during an impromptu press conference in a hotel lobby
in this West Timorese capital.

"We are one island with the West Timorese. Why on earth should we
be separated? We are going to continue our armed struggle for as
long as it takes.

"If foreign troops come in, we will resist and shoot them. We
have 25,000 weapons. The UN are the new colonialists. First we
had the Portuguese, now we have the UN," he said.

Haia, who like other officials in East Timor was approved by the
Indonesian government, echoed pro-Jakarta groups which have
accused UNAMET of rigging the territory's self-determination

"We completely reject the result because UNAMNET was so biased.
They didn't want to accept us at any stage of the voting
process," he said.

The result announced by the United Nations on Saturday showed an
overwhelming 78.5 percent of eligible East Timorese had opted for
independence 24 years after their territory was invaded by

But Haia disputed the figures. "We counted that in nine districts
we had more than 60 percent [of the vote] and the rest was 50-
50," he said.

Asked why he rejected the results when Indonesian President B.J.
Habibie had accepted them, Haia replied: "He is just the
president, he has never been in the field."

Pro-Indonesian militia, in many cases backed by army soliders and
police according to witnesses, have attacked and driven out all
but one of the UNAMET posts in East Timor.

Only the Dili compound is left, and that is under seige with
access to food stores cut off and communications dead as at least
1,300 refugees crowd inside. The mayor said he had flown into
Kupang to bring his family out and would return to Dili on
Thursday. "No one is left in Dili, everyone is at the police
station, at the harbor or has run to the hills," he said.

But he added that the army could not be expected to control "a
guerrilla war" by the militias in response to the vote. "It's
very hard for the authorities to do anything," he said.

"Everything could return to normal in one to two weeks if UNAMET
accepts responsibility for the mistakes it has made. As long as
they don't take responsibility there will never be peace. We
don't trust the UN any more. They are not neutral."

Marked for execution

Sydney Morning Herald - September 10, 1999

Louise Williams -- Catholic Church leaders were hiding in remote
East Timor mountains last night after pro-Jakarta militia gangs
went on a rampage of bloody retribution, murdering at least 14
priests and nuns and stabbing the Bishop of Baucau.

Six nuns were reported killed in Baucau, four nuns in Dili and
three priests in Suai, said a spokeswoman for Caritas Australia,
the Catholic overseas aid agency. The Bishop of Baucau, the Most
Rev Basilio do Nascimento, was stabbed before escaping into the

Father Francisco Barreto, the local director of Caritas, was
believed to have been murdered just outside the capital, Dili.

He had warned the Foreign Minister, Mr Downer, during a visit to
Australia in April that terrible violence would be orchestrated
by the Indonesian military.

One account of the attack on the six Canossian sisters in Baucau,
115 kilometres east of Dili, said the militia thugs had forced
them into a forest where they were murdered.

Reports of the atrocities emerged as Indonesia announced last
night that a five-member United Nations Security Council team
would travel to East Timor tomorrow, but Jakarta remained
strongly opposed to any UN peacekeeping force.

In the worst slaughter to date, the UN confirmed that at least
100 people, including three priests, had died in an attack
earlier this week on refugees sheltering in the church at Suai,
on the remote east coast.

The dead priests were Father Hilario Madeira, who had long been
an outspoken critic of military and militia abuses, Father
Francisco Soares and Father Tarcisius Dewanto.

The savage attacks are the first deliberate violations of the
sanctity of the church under Indonesian rule and have robbed the
East Timorese of their last refuge.

The militias appear to be using a death list of independence
sympathisers compiled before the ballot to systematically hunt
down their targets.

Many of the priests and nuns are sheltering on Mate Bean, the
mountain of death, where tens of thousands were killed by bombing
in the first years of the Indonesian occupation. It is not known
whether they have any supplies or access to medical treatment.

A communications blackout in Dili has made it impossible to
confirm the number of dead or injured in the attacks and Catholic
networks in Australia and Indonesia are working with the Vatican
to try to establish the facts.

Some reports have been received by overseas diocese offices
through e-mail from outlying Catholic schools and churches in
East Timor, describing attacks on churches and buildings where
nuns and priests were sheltering with thousands of refugees.

A Caritas Australia spokeswoman, Ms Jane Woolford, said: "We
don't even know where many of our local staff are. We hold grave
fears for their safety as many of them have been on death militia
lists before and have been attacked trying to deliver aid." Many
church leaders were identified as independence supporters and the
Catholic Church became an important symbol of opposition to the
Muslim-dominated Indonesian Government.

The leader of the Catholic Church in East Timor, Bishop Carlos
Belo, was evacuated to Darwin earlier this week after his offices
and home were burnt to the ground, with scores killed.

Father Jose San Juan, also recently evacuated to Darwin, said: "I
fear many, many priests and sisters will be killed if they stay.
In the past the church was a safe place, even from the Indonesian
military, but if they can attack the bishop then that's it."

The militia units were stacked with Indonesian operatives, said
Father San Juan, a Filipino from the Salesian order. "I saw the
militias attacking churches before I got out and many of them
were speaking in Indonesian, not the local language, so I do not
believe they are all East Timorese," he said. "They were yelling
at people to get out or be killed, and if they refused they just
shot or stabbed them. The Indonesian police and military were
just standing there."

The chairman of Caritas Australia, Bishop Hilton Deakin, said:
"These murderous attacks on the church are part of a much wider
unjust genocide. When Catholic Church members, who have offered
relief and refuge to East Timorese, are struck down, we realise
there is no respect for any life in East Timor."

Ms Ana Noronha, director of the East Timor Human Rights
Commission, said information on the deaths had been sent to the
United Nations. "It is now obvious that the violence is reaching
everyone and that there is a pattern of the Catholic Church being

Time to pray, and run the militia gauntlet

Sydney Morning Herald - September 10, 1999

Lindsay Murdoch, Dili -- Pat Burgess wipes away the tears. He
doesn't want to make the life-or-death decision. The Australian
political officer working for the United Nations has just been
told that staff and their dependants, including Timorese, are
evacuating from the besieged UN compound in Dili.

But everybody inside knows that if we leave behind 1,500 refugees
who have crammed with us into the compound the young men among
them would be accused of being pro-independence and probably

Burgess, like many other UN staff, hates the decision to evacuate
that was made on the other side of the world in New York. But he
has no choice. "Tell the young men to run," he tells his
interpreter, wiping away more tears.

Burgess knows very well the lies that Indonesia's military and
police officers have told the UN for months. Promises that the
Indonesian armed forces and police would not harm the refugees
mean nothing. Asked what he thinks will happen to the women and
children, he says: "They will probably rape the women."

Families sit around candles and pray for a long time. Some weep.
They talk in whispers. These are intimate moments we do not want
to disturb. Only the gunshots and distant explosions break the
near silence.

But as the night wears on we step over babies and children
sleeping on concrete and distribute our remaining food. It is
only a few cans of corned beef and some packets of noodles but we
are on our way to Darwin, away from the gunshots, the explosions,
the orchestrated terror. Or so we think.

The men run in the early hours as smoke continues to rise into
the air from dozens of fires across the largely deserted town. So
too do many of the young women, particularly the pretty ones. For
24 years Indonesian soldiers in East Timor have violated the
women, for their selfish pleasure, with impunity.

As they run, fresh gunfire erupts. Short, sharp volleys. Soon
some of the men return exhausted after trying to climb the hill
that rises almost vertically from the back of the compound. They
report that the Indonesian troops who are supposed to be
protecting us from attack fired over their heads, forcing them to

But soon others try other routes and find ways past the troops.
With the fittest leading the way, others follow, including
mothers carrying babies, cooking utensils and their few

As they shuffle into the darkness many of us are deeply
concerned, justifying our helplessness by thinking that the East
Timorese have shown remarkable resilience during decades of
immense suffering. We can only hope their instincts will keep
them alive.

When dawn breaks the compound appears strangely bigger, with
spaces free of masses of humanity. I won't reveal how many of the
refugees are left because it is better to keep the killers and
rapists guessing.

We don't know whether to be relieved because we don't know if the
refugees made it to the mountains outside Dili, where we hope
they will not starve until they can return safely to the town or
outside help arrives.

At 1.30am yesterday Ian Martin, head of the UN mission in East
Timor, succumbs to pressure from his staff to delay our
evacuation for 24 hours. This may have saved the life of
70-year-old Anne Forbes of Ballarat. We were still here when she
reached the compound yesterday.

The Sister of Mercy who came to East Timor to teach English under
the wing of the Catholic relief agency Caritas trembles as she
tells her disturbing story. Since August 1 she has been staying
at an orphanage at Dare, a village in the mountains above Dili.
She has seen Dili ablaze, heard the constant gunshots, and heard
the fears of the hundreds who fled to Dare.

"On Monday or Tuesday morning, I can't remember exactly, we
watched two boats go out from Dili," she says. "We thought they
were heading out to West Timor but they only went out a distance
and then came straight back. We fear they were dropping bodies."

Sister Anne was staying with the remarkable Sister Lourdes, who
runs an orphanage in Dare. A 10-year-old girl arrived a couple of
days ago in the mountains from the town of Liquica, 40 kilometres
west of Dili. She told of seeing her brother with a machete stuck
in his chest and bodies piled high. Sister Anne cries as she
continues. "Another little girl, she's only five, recites how she
saw three men shot in her parents' garden."

Sister Anne says she cannot imagine how many people are dead.
"There's a real frenzy out there. A nephew of one of our Timorese
sisters was killed with another man near UNAMET [the UN
compound]. The militia hammered nails into his head and cut off
his flesh. They told other people they were going to eat the
flesh but I doubt they did that."

Sister Anne says it was one of the toughest decisions of her life
to leave the orphanage. But with food short she felt guilty every
time she sat down to eat.

When she drove into Dili's deserted streets yesterday morning
with a German priest, Father Albert Garim, they stopped their car
outside a Jesuit's house, where militia looters had loaded
furniture, two refrigerators and two motorcycles onto their

"Father Garim told them to get the hell out of there," Sister
Anne says. "But you know the funny thing is that they were
greatly embarrassed and knelt down and kissed his hand and rosary

"You see these people are East Timorese and Catholics. Up in the
hills the people are spending hours praying that they end all
this and see that they are all Timorese in their hearts." Police
took Father Garim away. His whereabouts are unknown.

Sister Anne's handbag was rifled as a military officer told her
in broken English: "You are probably doing good work in East
Timor. But it is hurting some people." Sister Anne was near
exhaustion when she reached the UN compound. "How can teaching a
little bit of English hurt anybody?" she asks.

She expects to be evacuated with the rest of us this morning but
she will leave East Timor with great reluctance. As half a dozen
dirty but broadly smiling children rush her in the compound and
kiss her hand, she weeps.

"I think about the future of these children," she says. "What is
so special about Indonesia that nobody will directly call them
the liars, thugs and mongrels that they are? Why can't the world

A general squeeze and Habibie succumbs to the pressure

Sydney Morning Herald -- September 10. 1999

The men in uniform usually get their own way, David Jenkins
writes from Jakarta. Indonesia's military leaders are accustomed
to getting their own way. And when it looked yesterday as if
President Habibie might be tempted to give the green light to the
early arrival of foreign peacekeepers in East Timor the generals
decided enough was enough.

After a day-long meeting with his senior commanders, the defence
minister, General Wiranto, called on Dr Habibie to make it clear
that the army (TNI) would not accept that outcome under any

The TNI, he said, was to remain the sole military force in East
Timor until the People's Consultative Congress (MPR) met in
October-November to consider the outcome of the August 30

This was an unmistakable flexing of military muscles, an almost
off-hand reminder that Dr Habibie has no power to rein in
Indonesia's runaway army. The unstated message was: "If you care
to oppose us on this, other scenarios may unfold."

The next day's headline in Kompas said all that needed to be
said. "The Generals Meet Habibie. General Wiranto: 'It is not
true there has been a coup d'etat'."

That was true enough. But in the opinion of one senior Indonesian
source: "It was a quarter coup. There was a sort of confrontation
last night between Wiranto and Habibie. Wiranto said, 'Don't let
foreign peacekeepers come in.' It means the military have the
upper hand." Asked if there was any implicit threat from Wiranto,
the source said: "Well, actually not a threat. Just a squeeze!"

The confrontation between Dr Habibie and his generals came with
the arrival in Jakarta of five UN ambassadors, who were thought
to be pushing for the early arrival of an international
peacekeeping force.

Indonesia's military commanders, who have never accepted what
they see as Dr Habibie's rash decision to approve an independence
referendum in East Timor, were concerned that the president might
give way.

In their view, Dr Habibie takes more notice of his inner "kitchen
Cabinet", a group of Muslim intellectuals who have long argued
that there is no point in hanging on to this largely Catholic
problem province, than he does of his Cabinet and his defence

They aren't even sure that he should be listening to some members
of Cabinet. The Information Minister, Lieutenant-General Mohammad
Yunus, who served numerous tours in East Timor, is seen as
altogether too liberal these days.

In these circumstances, there is no need for the military to
think, at least for the time being, about pushing Dr Habibie off
stage. The TNI is able to act as it pleases in places like East
Timor and can afford to wait until the MPR chooses a new
president in two months' time.

No-one believes any longer that Dr Habibie will remain in office
after that. He is widely seen as a lame duck, crippled by the
charge that he "gave away" East Timor.

At their meeting yesterday, sources in Jakarta say, Indonesia's
leading generals, admirals and air marshals talked at length
about the "threat" posed by foreign forces, including what one
well-connected source called "the threat from the Australian
armed forces".

In the next day's papers, the air force commander was even quoted
as saying "We are ready to face any intruders from Australia".
This may sound bizarre. But some Indonesian officers have no
trouble these days locating possible threats.

"Australia keeps talking about sending troops," said Dr Salim
Said, a political scientist who has close ties with a number of
prominent generals.

"Australia is saying Indonesia is not able to take care of the
situation. We see pictures of Australian panzer wagons in the
morning newspapers and we read that they are ready to be sent to
East Timor. "Unfortunately, the domestic pressure in Australia
for something to be done in East Timor spills over to Jakarta and
galvanises Indonesian nationalism. And that is felt very strongly
in the armed forces."

According to a source in Jakarta, one prominent Indonesian
general was saying last night: "We are ready to go to war with
Australia if [they send troops without our permission]."

Indonesia's army may have some reason to believe that Dr Habibie
and his advisers rushed into the East Timor referendum without
proper consultation with key ministers. But the army's attempt to
subvert that policy has been nothing short of disastrous. No
wonder Indonesian Foreign Minister Ali Alatas is such an
exhausted and demoralised man.

[The following note was posted by Joyo (accompanying a different
article) on the Van Zorge Report web page on September 10, 1999 -
James Balowski.]

Rumor has it that Prabowo, Suharto's "disgraced" son-in-law and
former "golden boy" (about whom US Sec. of Defense Cohen made
glowing remarks during a visit to Jakarta in Jan. 1998), has
recently slipped back into the country after staying abroad in
Jordan and elsewhere since August 1998.

Prior to becoming head of the dreaded Kopassus special forces,
Prabowo cut his teeth so to speak as the mastermind behind the
"black ninja" death squad terror campaign in East Timor. From
1985-98, every significant Jakarta operative in East Timor from
the governor down to the village level has been a member of the
Prabowo network.

It is believed by some well-informed sources that Prabowo and his
operatives have used the East Timor situation to re-assert their
power after coming out on the losing end of Prabowo's failed
power grab in May 1998 -- when Kopassus gunned down students at
Trisakti university and instigated massive devastation, mayhem,
rapes of Chinese women, and killings as a smoke screen to seize

With Wiranto's so-called credibility on the line after the
imposition of martial law, it is not Wiranto but Prabowo himself
who can decide when the terror in Timor stops, and this is the
bargaining chip Prabowo is using to re-assert his power in TNI.
In other words, Prabowo has Wiranto by the balls and is using the
unspeakable horrors in East Timor as his bargaining chip.

Prabowo, moreover, controls a war chest of hundreds of millions,
if not billions of dollars, much of it coming from the business
empires of his wife Titiek Suharto and his brother Hashim.
Recently, it was revealed that US$250 million was missing from
Cement Cibinong, the crown jewel in the Titiek-Hashim empire,
which may have been used to bankroll Prabowo's black operations
intended to undermine Wiranto and buy significant numbers DPR and
MPR members to shore up Prabowo's political base.

It is also believed that the "black ninja" terror campaign in
Java last year was the first stage in Prabowo's masterplan to
reassert his power and undermine Wiranto. In order to turn off
that campaign, it is alleged that Wiranto made certain
concessions such as not pressing to court martial Prabowo or his
operatives for the Trisakti killings and abductions and torture
of government critics -- and not to purge members of Prabowo's
extensive network from the ranks of TNI and its intelligence

Action in Solidarity with Indonesia and East Timor (ASIET)
PO Box 458, Broadway NSW 2007 Australia
Phone: 61-(0)2-96901230
Fax  : 61-(0)2-96901381
Email: asiet at
WWW  :

More information about the Marxism mailing list