East Timor and the DSP line

Patrick Bond pbond at SPAMwn.apc.org
Sun Sep 12 04:47:26 MDT 1999

Coming from an SA liberation struggle where the character of int'l
solidarity was hotly debated (even if formal armed `intervention' was
never at stake), it seems to me that cde Alan's point here needs a
great deal more discussion.

> From:          "Alan Bradley" <alanb at elf.brisnet.org.au>
> I think there are two aspects to the DSP line.  One, as I have said before,
> is the influence of the Timorese resistance.  The Timorese have
> historically had an anti-interventionist policy, but have reversed it in
> the last few months in the context of the vote, and the recent events.

It's a shame so many words are spent on exploring the intricacies of
the Oz left -- as invigorated and hopeful as these comrades appear to
be right now -- and so little on clarifying lines of argument,
strategies and tactics within the Timorese liberation ranks. That's
the information many of our comrades in SA are anxious to get.

Patrick Bond
email:  pbond at wn.apc.org * phone:  2711-614-8088
home:  51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094 South Africa
work:  University of the Witwatersrand
Graduate School of Public and Development Management
PO Box 601, Wits 2050, South Africa
email:  bondp at zeus.mgmt.wits.ac.za
phone:  2711-488-5917 * fax:  2711-484-2729