Reply re Marta Russell and Doyle Saylor

Andrew Wayne Austin aaustin at SPAMutkux.utcc.utk.edu
Mon Sep 6 21:39:10 MDT 1999

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Charles Brown wrote:

>My support for the strongest and unfettered right of a woman to decide
>to have or not to have an abortion (Carrol's no inquiry into her
>reasons) is premised on the fact that we are in a male supremacist
>society. When in the future we eradicate male supremacy and establish
>communism, there may be a basis for some social or collective decisions
>on abortions.

This is a good point in principle. I certainly support the unfettered
right of a woman to choose abortion. However, I want to point out that
abortion can happen for reasons of male supremacy. In many parts of the
world, abortion and infanticide are expressions of male domination. With
respect to the United States, this is not an issue. But we have to be
careful to avoid too narrow a focus.

Andy Austin