Reply re Marta Russell and Doyle Saylor

Andrew Wayne Austin aaustin at SPAMutkux.utcc.utk.edu
Tue Sep 7 10:09:24 MDT 1999

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Charles Brown wrote:

>Charles: I could be wrong, but I root my attitude on a woman's right to
>an abortion in feminist analysis in the U.S. too. In part, this may be
>male supremacy mediated or partially hidden by religion. and generalized
>religious morality.

Yes, I agree with this. What I wanted to note was that this does not
necessarily apply to other cultural contexts. Patriarchy expresses itself
differently in different cultural context. In one, male supremacy may be
expressed in the wish to control women by preventing them from exercising
reproductive freedom. In another, male supremacy may be expressed in the
wish to control women by reducing their numbers via selective abortion.

Andy Austin