Reply re Marta Russell and Doyle Saylor

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky nestor at SPAMsisurb.filo.uba.ar
Mon Sep 6 15:04:12 MDT 1999

El  5 Sep 99 a las 22:16, Doyle Saylor nos dice(n):

> Doyle
> Human beings are not external to the natural world, our
> culture is external to the natural world.

This is a dualistic position. Marxists, IMHO, view culture
as a particular stance of Nature, as the peculiar creation
of a singular species. This is what underlies the
dialectic, not mechanistic, monism of Marx and Engels. If
one begins by separating culture and nature, then one can
go ahead, break mind and body apart, and so on. And,
ultimately (Marx's Thesis III on Feuerbach warns against
this), one may split the society in two: the "educated" and
the "educators".  Any similarities with different
technocratic rules (that in fSU included) are absolutely
intentional.

I agree with you, however, in that

> There are many
> examples of the need for human biological diversity,
> immunity to diseases is often found through research in
> people whose immune system effectively fights the disease.
>  That is a natural process.  We are not then entirely
> distinct from the animal and plant world.  We need to pay
> attention to the ecological balance of the world, for
> example in the nature of energy regimes.

Moreover, a strong case might be made defending the idea
that Marxist economics analyses scientifically the concrete
exchanges of energy (social human ability to work, as
measured by value, which BTW allows us to exchange hours at
work for BTUs!) within the structure of social classes much
in the way an ecologist can measure exchanges of energy
between producers, consumers, predators, etc.

Nestor.