New Age for Aussie and Kiwi Imperialism

Warwick Kenneth Fry wfry10 at SPAMscu.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 18:09:34 MDT 1999

Phil,
        I do maintain that it was reluctant. You seem to forget that it
was an emergency. Two weeks was morelike the time frame when it became
obvious that a second rape of East Timor was occuring. Clinton was able to
evacuate half a state in 4 days once it became evident  that a hurricane
was about to hit it.

        Okay - I'll concede that it wasn't that lonely little cadre of
DSP-ers yelling outside his office window that finally convinced Howard to
take action.

        It was actually the crucial action of the skeleton UN staff who
refused to leave the compound when the UN administration wanted to
evacuate *everyone*. This was back when it was 'only the militias' who
were causing the trouble. Of course if these people had left when they
were told to there would have been no witnesses to the collusion of the
military with the militia, and the Indonesian elite would have been able
to duck the blame for the rather impressive massacre of between 10 and 20
thousand East timorese in the short space of ten days.

        But to me, those UN Staffers (and I bet *their* bosses are cursing
them for propelling the UN into a situation it would rather have avoided!)
also represent 'the people' and reflect the attitude of 'the people' of
Australia.

        The Australian government may not have been 'destabilised' in the
sense that we have our own 'emergency', but it, and its'
imperialist/colonialist functions are starting to come apart.  The truism
of the Australian/American alliance is being questioned in a way that the
US tariff on Australian lamb ("Clinton likes it rare") never did. The
'special relationship' with the Indonesian military has been abandoned as
a bad job. We are witnessing the subversion of a considerable power
structure.

        Thanks again to the resistance of the East Timorese people.