marxism-digest V1 #1339

Carlos Eduardo Rebello crebello at SPAMantares.com.br
Sun Sep 19 18:34:44 MDT 1999

Nestor:

Both you and the Cubans are right in pointing to the fact that the UN
peace enforcing force, kept under the dominance of an imperialist
country like Australia, will certainly interfere into East Timorese
internal politics in order to assure that the future East Timorese state
will not offer unduly resistence to the penetration of all kinds of
entreprenurial, financial and political intersts of the said imperialist
countries in future Timorese internal policies.Neverthless, the fact
that the leadership of the Timorese national liberation movement had
been pursuing a moderate policy - heavily tainted with a kind of
parliamentarian cretinism that seems to have done nothing to forsee the
murderous consequences of a vote for independence in the UN-sponsored
referendum - also facilitated the killing rampage of the para-militaries
and decisively weakened the ability of any future Timorese government to
resist any kind of imperialist pressure.

As to the Brazilian troops, I had also hopes that - given the fact that
the mainly Brazilian peace-*keeping* force in Mozambique -some 1,000
strong - had done its job fairily well and helped a lot in the process
of peace-making there - that Brazil could have a more important role in
the UN Timor force. The Brazilian press points, however, to the fact
that, since each country will have to pay the bill for the expenses done
in the keeping of its militaries in Timor, the fact that public spending
in Brazil is today tightly under the control of the IMF led to the fact,
that regretfully, Brazil is only sending 51 men to Timor. Naturally, the
colusion of these two facts - that the Brazilian economy is now being
managed by the IMF, and the consequent Braz.impossibility of sending a
sizeable peace-keeping force to another former Portuguese colony - is
anything but an accident...Put into a nutshell, we shall watch the
setting-up of another poor and week statelet born under the "protection"
of the imperialist powers.

 That was not inevitable to happen, even after the Indonesian unilateral
annexation. It must be remembered that (and João certainly remembers
this) that the Portuguese enclaves in India - Goa, Damão and Diu - where
taken by storm from the Salazarist regime in 1961 by the Indian army,
and that nowadays thre is no sign of a Goese national liberation
movement, the reason being , AFAIK, that the Indian ruling class didn't
indulge in the kind of killing sprees that the Indonesian bourgeoisie as
a whole (and the military caste and the Suharto clan in particular) did
in East Timor. It must be remembered that the Indonesian national
consciousness being a phenomemnon fostered only by the fact that the
myriad of ethnicties and national groups now belonging to Indonesian had
shared the common fate of Dutch rule, that any intended Indonesian
absorbtion of the Timorese - that had had to suffer Portuguese rule
since the XVIth. century, when Portugal received a trading post there
from Spain in exchenge from the former trading post in the Moluccas -
would be a long and slow business; something to which the Indonesian
government seems to have devoted very little thought to -if any...

Carlos Rebello