[Fwd: Egyptian art show]

Sun Sep 19 00:54:47 MDT 1999

>On the contrary I believe our historians have been imposing their own
>views of common labourers in more modern and particularly capitalist
>times of how  they assume ancient ruling classes treated their workers.
>One hesitates to idealize those ancient societies, but I believe the
>grunts who raised the massive rocks in the Pyramids were able to take as
>much pride and satisfaction in the precise placing of their huge rocks
>as did the sculpters who carved  statues of Pharoahs.with such skill and
>artistic sensitivity.

What has always struck me in my studies of the works of the Egyptian era is
the immensity of it all. Even today no architect in his or her right mind
would ever dream of taking on a contract to build a structure like the
pyramids. I am not a physicist, but it is my belief that there would have to
have been a tremendously huge pool of slave labor, one that could have many
workers day in a single day if this structure were to be built. The statues
that were built of people could have been just that- the statues that were
built. I tend to believe it is not so likely that such a structure exists
through a better managed work arrangement.
Of course, this is all conjecture, and when Jed Van writes

>It has remained for the societies of the Christian era to view the
>accumulation of personal wealth and power as virtuous  and admirable,
>and the work and lives of their unrich servitors as worthless, mean. and
>expendable.
>
>Praise the Lord and pass the collection plate!

Whether or not Egyptian societies were "enlightened" or "barbarous" this is
all accurate, of course.
>Jed Van
>.
Macdonald